NEWS: Sons-of-the-soil sentiment taking root in Goa again
pameladmello
2003-03-11 16:37:29 UTC
SONS-OF-THE-SOIL SENTIMENT TAKING ROOT IN GOA AGAIN

From Pamela D'Mello

Panaji: A new form of Shiv Sena type sons-of-the-soil regionalism
is growing in this west coast state, with emotive arguments pressing for a
Goans First employment policy and a moratorium on sale of scarce land to
"outsiders".

The Goa Hit Rakhan Manch (Protect Goan Interest Forum), a relatively new
political outfit here, is fuelling populist sentiment and has threatened
violence against government officials and companies that don't give first
priority to Goans in employment.

Recently, the Manch's first mid-sized rally demanded that Goans be
favoured for the estimated 15,000 government jobs falling vacant in the next
few years.

"Every industry that uses Goan land, water and power to set up here, must
issue a statement showing that 80 % of its employment is Goan", said
convenor Prashant Naik.

Over the past years, the Manch has scrutinised job advertisements that
disfavour local employment, targetting especially the Goa University, where
it alleges corruption ensures the sizeable recruitment of outstation
staff.

Arguing that "only Konkani can prove you are a Goan" for employment
purposes, it wants stringent use of Konkani in government and the
corollary insistence of its knowledge for employment, along with a fifteen
year domicile.

But Goa's bitter Marathi v/s Konkani language row in the eighties, and an
early 1960s referendum against merger with Mahrasthra makes this form of
regionalism contentious.

The current debate was fuelled lately after Marathi protagonists here
apparently lost a court battle to make Marathi knowledge equally essential
for jobs in Goa.

While Konkani was deemed essential, Marathi knowledge was only desirable,
the court said --- a ruling that did not go down well with that camp.

A war of words between rival protagonists and jostling for government
patronage has kept the row alive here. A recent Marathi literary
conference dubbing Konkani as a mere dialect was seen as an insult
triggering a fresh round of acrimony.

Goa's BJP government, attempting to placate both camps, has however angered
Konkani supporters, led seen as dominated by upper caste groupings.

In now attempting to forge a regional exclusivist policy, the Manch claims
it wants to bridge the language and religious chasm in the state.It denied
charges of being a Konkani exclusivist forum.

Certainly concern has been mounting here in some quarters over the large
influx of migrants from Karnataka, informal service sector workers from
Orissa and Bihar, traders from Kashmir and Gujarat, and property holders and
speculators from all over. (ends)
Bernado Colaco
2003-03-12 07:17:44 UTC
For many 41 years Goans have been dotted as fools,
susegados and whatever! Goans were told that they
never had capacity to rule. While the treachrous and
divisionary MGP brought in outside experts to make
policies in Goa.

Did things improve in Goa with the indian
neocolonialism or were Goans eating grass under
Portuguese colonialism?

It is time for the indians to stop the plunder and
rape of Goa!

--- pameladmello at softhome.net wrote: >
For more information/links, see
http://goanet.netfirms.com
SONS-OF-THE-SOIL SENTIMENT TAKING ROOT IN GOA AGAIN
From Pamela D'Mello
http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Chimbelcho
2003-03-13 03:40:43 UTC
In a message dated 3/12/03 8:02:15 PM Central Standard Time,
Post by Bernado Colaco
It is time for the indians to stop the plunder and
rape of Goa!
Do you want the foreigners to plunder and rape Goa instead?

Cheers,

Santosh
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I wish I had thought of saying that Santosh!
---Helga

Do you mean the indian foreigners?

Cheers

Colaco

--- Chimbelcho at aol.com wrote: > In a message dated
3/12/03 8:02:15 PM Central
Post by Chimbelcho
Standard Time,
http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Chimbelcho
2003-03-14 07:21:56 UTC
In a message dated 3/13/03 4:15:50 PM Central Standard Time, helga at gwi.net
Post by Helga do Rosario Gomes
I wish I had thought of saying that Santosh!
---Helga
Thanks Helga. But you are only an Indian. I am still waiting for a response
from the foreigners.

Cheers,

Santosh

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Folks,

Here is a part of an article by the eminent scholar of
Goa University Dr. N. Kamat.

Kind regards

Colaco

'Despite the above facts, Goa has done reasonably well
in checking the population growth and for this
achievement the Central planning commission's
Gadgil-Mukherjee formula would reward us "handsomely"
by slashing the grants, because we are a developed
state. Please take note: The central government
collects not less than 3000 crores from Goa (direct &
indirect taxes, customs, excise, income tax etc.),
another 2400 crores are contributed to foreign
exchange kitty by tourism sector, 1000 crores foreign
exchange from the mining sector. But the annual plan
grants are still fixed at 200-300
crores-because-development means less grants from the
central government.
Most of the foreign loans, grants, schemes, aid is
diverted to Punjab, Haryana, Tamilnadu, Andhra
Pradesh. The last project funded by the World bank in
Goa was the Rs. 23 crores aid for improving the
technical education. Interms of external
aid/loans/grants goa comes poorest in India and that
is the reason the state government is borrowing from
domestic market at high rates.
A Rs. 200 crores infrastructure development project
for the tourism belt is still pending with the
Japanese government. The Japanese steel industry
heavily benefitted from on the Iron ore of Goa since
1950s (about Rs. 30,000 crores worth exports) but the
Japanese have not shown any interest in helping Goa to
restore the degraded mining belt. Neither the local
politicians have the lobbying power, vision or
negotiationg skills.'

--- Helga do Rosario Gomes <helga at gwi.net> wrote: > I
http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Chimbelcho
2003-03-15 06:51:07 UTC
Post by Bernado Colaco
Do you mean the indian foreigners?
Cheers
Colaco
Hello Mr. Colaco:

Let me ask you and others who sympathize with your view three simple questions. Are you ashamed that you are ethnically an Indian? Do you wish your ancestors were not born on the Indian subcontinent? Would you rather shed your skin?

I would really appreciate your honest answers.

Cheers,

Santosh
Frederick Noronha (FN)
2003-03-15 09:33:09 UTC
THE WORD 'Indian' means different things to different people. For some it
is a civilization thousands of years old, for others its a nation-state,
in the view of the RSS someone can be a good Indian only if s/he
accepts India as a divine or holy land ('punyabhu'), some and still
others an entity that was evolved (due to accidents of British colonial
history) only in 1947.

Perhaps it's futile to get caught up in rigid or inflexible positions over
how we conceive this. There are other interpretations. In addition, the
world out there, as someone said, is 20 per cent reality and 80 per cent
perception of that reality!

Goans have grown up in diverse continents, learnt differening senses of
history and have very complex (and not necessarily accurate)
understandings of their past.

But this matter is more complicated... for other reasons.

Indians (and South Asians) have been seen in different ways at different
points of time. My parent's generation has encountered
Apartheid in South Africa (no amount of the Goa-is-not-India argument
would have helped, even had it been tried). As for myself, my strange name
mixed with Arab looks and a beard got me almost offloaded a plane in
Scandinavia (long before 9/11). But one has also seen the manner in which
Indian ingenuity is looked upto in places like Malaysia. Goans in Silicon
Valley (Marlon?) would perhaps have more to comment on this. I've also
encountered Pakistanis friends who's first comment is "You'll Indians are
very smart..." Now, one reads in a post-colonial version of history that
before the British East India Company the world was a very, very
different place, and that it was the Company that "first reversed the
ancient flow of wealth from West to East".

"For at least two millenia, from Roman times, Europe had
always been Asia's commercial supplicant, shipping
out gold and silver in return for spices, textiles and
luxury goods. And for the first 150 years after its
establishment by Queen Elizabeth I in 1600, the Company
had to repeat this practice, as there was simply nothing
that England could export that the East wanted to buy..."
--Nick Robins 'Loot: In search of the East India Company,
the world's first transnational corporation' (Environment
& Urbanization Vol 14 No 1 April 2002, IIED London)

How we identify 'ourself' and the 'other' would, in large measure, depend
on our understanding of history.

Nonetheless, to avoid getting caught up in value-loaded (for the above
reason) arguments, perhaps it might be nice to ask Goans to consider a
re-phrasing of Dr Santosh's question: "Are you comfortable with an ethnic
identity that is South Asian? Do you wish your ancestors were born in some
other part of the globe? Would you have been more comfortable with some
other ethnic identity?"

Perhaps going deeper into these issues might help us understand....
ourselves. --FN
Santosh
Chimbelcho
2003-03-15 14:34:14 UTC
Post by Frederick Noronha (FN)
THE WORD 'Indian' means different things to different people. For some it
is a civilization thousands of years old, for others its a nation-state,
in the view of the RSS someone can be a good Indian only if s/he
accepts India as a divine or holy land ('punyabhu'), some and still
others an entity that was evolved (due to accidents of British colonial
history) only in 1947.
Frederick,

You are too kind. You let us foreigners get away too easily. Being the westerner that I am, the only India I know is the one that Genoese merchants wanted to trade with, and Christobal Colon and Vasco da Gama wanted to find a way to.

Cheers,

Santosh
Gilbert Lawrence
2003-03-15 16:41:24 UTC
Just some more statistics which were not previously provided by Gabe and
Lily. As we are talking of national and international GDP!

In Goa as per the publish statistics: The Per Capita Income is Rs
23,396. The poverty rate is described as 14.92 % (Urban 27.03 % and
Rural 5.34 %).

Does it not make you cry? Or depending on your perspective there is a
golden opportunity for the world's and Goa's do-gooders to do something
about. Regards, GL
Eddie Fernandes
2003-03-15 19:03:50 UTC
2003-03-16 07:12:37 UTC
I stand corrected! My figures from the Government of Goa may be
outdated.
I feel better that the per capita income of a resident of Goa is 'Rs
45,105' as per the Business Standard. That help all of us cry less and
sleep better that the average Goan earns US $900 dollars. Is that per
year, per month or per week? Regards GL.

Bernado Colaco
2003-03-17 06:25:13 UTC
In a few words: I am a Goan and proud too, I am proud
to be born in Goa. If not for the indian invasion we
Goans would had a better future. Mr. Helekar can you
not see that once our pristine towns are rotting
carcasses under indian rule? Look what the indians
have done to Bombaim and Calcutta!

Regards

Colaco
http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Sunila Muzawar
2003-03-17 09:13:42 UTC
From: Bernado Colaco <ole_xac at yahoo.co.uk>
To: goanet at goanet.org
Subject: [Goanet] I am a Goan!
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 06:25:13 +0000 (GMT)
In a few words: I am a Goan and proud too, I am proud
to be born in Goa. If not for the indian invasion we
Goans would had a better future.
Sure for 400 plus years we went from strength to strength under the
Portuguese and I am sure that is where you base your deductions. ;-)
Mr. Helekar can you
not see that once our pristine towns are rotting
carcasses under indian rule? Look what the indians
have done to Bombaim and Calcutta!
Bombaim ? I say Bombaim ? Did you really say Bombaim ? Maybe someone should
put you on a plane to Portugal then....because it's only there that you can
get away with saying Bombaim !!!....probably not even Portugal will be so
ancient ! And yes, our towns are rotting under Indian rule. After all, we
have now achieved 95% literacy, the standard of living of the people has
really increased. Basic Sanitation has now reached almost all parts of the
towns, medical facilities have improved (although not ideal yet), the market
place is thriving, communication facilities have bettered (almost everyone
has a phone), people have a lot of money and enjoy their life, almost every
house has electricity and access to water, every kid is into computers and
stuff like that, there are more internet cafes than fancy Dubai, Goans can
decide whom to elect and democracy is thriving and the people are free. What
a way to rot !! tsk tsk !

And before you call yourself a proud Goan think. All the above was done by
Goans but you seem to be prouder of what was done....rather not done by the
Portuguese.
Jai Hind !
Sunila

Tim de Mello
2003-03-17 18:55:58 UTC
I am tired (and disappointed) reading e-mails from Goans that put down India
and Goa and extoll the virtues of Europe, America, Australia/NZ, etc.

We must remember that we are in these countries at the sufferance of the
indigineous populations - particularly in the ones governed by the
Anglo-Saxons (A-S). Let us not lose sight of the fact that if suitable A-S's
could be found we would not be allowed to set foot in these countries. These
countries (and South Africa, until recently) were developed for THEIR people
- not for us! History books have recorded these facts - "White Australia",
"Apartheid" (which incidentally was based on the Canadian system of
separating the Whites from the native populations, etc. Also, look at the
history of the Sikhs looking to settle in Vancouver (Komagata Maru in 1914),
the way the Chinese & Japanese people were dealt with in the 1940s in the US
and Canada, and recently the plight of Berna Cruz at the hands of US
officials. Berna Cruz was one case that received a lot of publicity, but I
have heard of many such cases which go unreported. Think about this the next
time you try and visit one of these A-S countries.

Many Goans who keep casting aspersions on India and Goa, I am sure, just
managed to qualify for entry into these A-S countries by the skin of their
teeth and now prance around as something superior to those in India. In
fairness, there are also many Indians (i.e. not from Goa) who do the same.

They must remember one thing. YOU ARE AFFORDED RESPECT (OR DIS-RESPECT) (and
suffer or enjoy your position in this society) BECAUSE OF THE STANDING OF
INDIA IN THE WORLD TODAY. e.g. If you are considered clever in IT it is
because of the standing of India in the world today - and a prospective
employer is likely to give you preference over some other non-Indian
immigrant. You are seen and viewed by the mainstream majority as Indian not
as Goan - however much you try and argue your pathetic cases here on
Goa-Net.

India has many problems and they are they there for all to see. e.g. Just go
to Agra to view the Taj Mahal and you will pass through some of the
filthiest places on earth. But just as well, India has made giant strides in
almost every field of human endeavour.

Yes, they are there - if you choose to see.

Tim de Mello
timdemello at hotmail.com
Ontario, CANADA

Carlos6143
2003-03-18 00:20:36 UTC
Bernado,
I know you are a Goan, but what is your ethnicity? Are one of your parents or
grand parents INDIAN? EUROPEAN? CHINESE? or AFRICAN? I have a Goan friend
here whose ethnicity is 25% Indian, 25% Portuguese, and 50% French. His
Grandma was of Portuguese descent and Grandpa an Indian (born in Goa).
Regards,
Carlos Rodrigues

In a message dated 3/17/03 12:43:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,

<<
From: Bernado Colaco <ole_xac at yahoo.co.uk>
To: goanet at goanet.org
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 06:25:13 +0000 (GMT)
Rui Collaco
2003-03-18 01:02:13 UTC
Mr. Mello, you are tired and disappointed because truth hurts sometimes!
Some Indian Goans are so full of nationalistic pride that they can't
tolerate any kind of criticism. They have been told since their kindergarten
days that India is the best place under the sun and they believed it. They
hate being reminded that that is not so. Speaking for myself, I have not
been putting down Goa or India. I have dwelt on facts, like my 1998 trip to
Goa. I did not like what I saw. Am I supposed to say that I loved it, just
to please you and other like-minded Indians? And what about that favourite
pastime of some goanetters which is Portugal-bashing, do you ever get tired
of it?
I agree with almost everything else you said. Those are facts of history and
you are right in reminding us of them. However people should be aware that
that was the reality of the anglo-saxon world. In Portugal and its colonies
it was a vastly different story. Goans have played a major role in
portuguese society for a long, long time. There have been a number of Goan
judges, university professors, medical doctors, high Govt. officials,
ambassadors (there are probably more Goans as ambassadors of Portugal than
as ambassadors of India),etc.from the 19th century onwards, working all
across the then portuguese empire.The colonisation of Mozambique was done by
Europeans and Goans, side by side.Today there are thousands of goans (or
rather, citizens of goan origin, like myself) in the Govt. departments,
universities, the judiciary, hospitals, foreign service, etc., in the most
qualified positions. They get there based on merit, because there is no
discrimination against them. I was born in 1963 in Mozambique, under
portuguese colonial rule. I have always been a fully fledged portuguese
national. Never ever did I feel discriminated by the whites or the
authorities. And we do not owe this to "India's standing in the world". We
were integrated and respected long before India even existed as an
independent country. Portugal knows Goa and Goans and respects them on their
own merits. People tend to forget or ignore that the Portuguese experience
is very different from the anglo-saxon one.

Rui Colla?o

Lisbon
timdemello at hotmail.com
Ontario, CANADA
Bernado Colaco
2003-03-18 06:20:04 UTC
Yes we have electricity that does not work!

Yes we have phones that do not work!

Yes we have roads full of potholes!

Yes we have malaria where thousands are infected and
die!

Yes we have 95% literacy where the so called literate
can not read write or listen!

Yes we have democracy where thugs, goons, smugglers
and thieves are elected!

What we have is a large bharati toilet in the making!

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Frederick Noronha (FN)
2003-03-18 10:59:04 UTC
Post by Bernado Colaco
What we have is a large bharati toilet in the making!
Bernado, You have the freedom to say what you believe, but not to insult
people so losely via a public forum. Such provocative and simplistic
arguments are hardly going to convince anyone about the logic, if any,
behind your words. Meanwhile, let me appeal to the silent majority of
Goanet to send in their views so that the debate doesn't get drowned in
the extemism of a few. If you feel some arguments are going off the
top, say so. FN
--
Frederick Noronha : http://www.bytesforall.org : When we speak of free
Freelance Journalist : Goa India 403511 : software we refer to