Women of a lesser God
Elisabeth Carvalho
2006-06-28 04:39:00 UTC
There are few occasions on which anger spews out of me
like venom from a snake but this is one of them. Hot
on the heels of the Salwaar Khameez story, is this
story making the news in India.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1678601.cms

Madhya Pradesh contemplates banning skirts for girls
in educational institutions. It is not the banning of
skirts per se that worries me. It is the thought
process behind the move. So as not to entice men.

Let me understand this concept. Are men so incapable
of controlling their urges that a women in a skirt is
responsible for their lasciviousness? Is the victim
the perpetrator of the crime? Do the authorities who
want to implement these restrictions have any
statistics on the sex crime rate in Middle Eastern
countries, where women are covered up in what can only
be described as black tents of despair?

Well, let me shed some light on the life of women in
these countries. They lead lives of brutal sexual
subjugation. Not only are they chattels in a man's
world to be discarded on a whim but they are also
routinely subjected to horrific crimes of rape and
assault, not just by their husbands but also
incestuously by fathers, uncles, brothers and cousins.
A fact not uncommon among the Muslim community in
India.

This news is hot on the heels, following Patil's
decision that the definition in the Indian Penal Code
and jurisprudence pertaining to rape is to be
redefined. Among other things a "plea bargain" will
now be entertained between the victim and the
perpetrator, which could include compensation in lieu
of prison time.

How horrific, that we now live in an India where women
are held responsible for curbing the sexual appetites
of men. And in the event that this lust should get out
of hand, well she may be compensated for it by money,
like it was a basket of eggs that went bad. If only
money could repair the emotional and physical damage
of rape.

How strange it is then, that we wish to punish parents
who don't want to breed girls. Who can blame parents
for not wanting to bring a daughter into the world of
India, where more and more she becomes the child of a
lesser God.

Elisabeth

http://mail.yahoo.com
Viviana
2006-06-28 17:14:24 UTC
Elisabeth - I join you in your contempt for a society that holds the
victim responsible for the crime, especially as it pertains to
defenseless women and girls. I have to disagree with you, however, when
you use this ugly reality as a justification to murder baby girls in the
womb. Isn't the natural result of this barbarism that there will be
less women who, consequently, will then have less power? If we want to
see an end to societies where women are dominated by men, we need to
HAVE MORE GIRLS.

And no, I don't have any daughters, but it wasn't by choice, believe me.

Viviana
Elisabeth
Elisabeth Carvalho
2006-06-29 16:49:46 UTC
Dear Viviana,
For a long time, I thought you were a women until I
realised you were a man. :) I too agree with you that
female fetus termination is abhorrent. My last
paragraph was strictly tongue-in-cheek.

Elisabeth
-----------------------------
http://mail.yahoo.com
Viviana
2006-06-29 19:50:37 UTC
My dear Elisabeth - last time I checked I was a woman! :-) I can't
imagine what I wrote that would lead you to believe otherwise. I'm glad
we agree that killing baby girls in the womb is abhorrent. If it had
been possible, I would have had a lots of daughters. God (dare I say
it? ;-) ) had other plans.

Viviana
Viviana

Viviana

Viviana

Elisabeth Carvalho
2006-06-30 15:48:06 UTC
Oops sorry a little gender confusion there. As for
daughters you can have mine when she hits puberty. :)

Elisabeth
--------------------
http://mail.yahoo.com
Elisabeth Carvalho