Global Goan Convention Expenses: Over Rs. 8 Lakhs spent on Award Recipients' Air Fare/Hotel Accommodation etc
JoeGoaUk
2007-03-26 07:06:13 UTC
Global Goan Convention Expenses: Over Rs. 8 Lakhs spent on Award Recipients' Air Fare/Hotel
Accommodation etc

1. Economy Class Air Fare to award recipients: Rs.3,26,,975
(reimbursed to 5)

2. Hotel accommodation to abv and Heads of diplomatic missions: R.5,13,000.

3. Transport.....Rs.1,47, 892

4. Event Management...Rs.5,44,907

5. Trophies to 1. above ....Rs.1,12,410

6. Momentos & Souvenirs..... Rs.6,67,480

7. Exhibition of Goan Arts/paintings...Rs.1,36,300

8. Printing and Stationery......Rs.32,893

9. Advertisement and Publicity... Rs.2,52,600

Total: 34,37,732
=========================

Taken from today's GT (info obtained under RTI)

JoeSays:
The so called 'recipients' are they really Goans ?
If they are Goans, don't they have their own homes or ancestors homes in Goa ?
Are they really homeless in Goa ? And yet we call them Goans or eminent Goans?
Only tourists stay in hotels and not real Goans.

When I come to GOA from UK, almost half the times I got free accommodation Vouchers with
BB/HB/FB in 2-3 star hotels (not just one night or Dorm house accommodation) but we never use
it as we go straight to our home sweet home from the airport.

Fyi, during the time (GGC) early Jan.2007, the hotel (Cidade de Goa) room tariff was Rs.12,000
per night being peak season (off peak Rs.9K)
If they stayed say 5 days, it might have cost Rs.60,000 each plus meals etc.

Joegoauk at yahoo.co.uk

for Goa & NRI related info...

Konkani Songs, Goan Photos, Tiatr/Film VCDs, Bank interest rates etc etc
(for updates etc click below)

All New Yahoo! Mail ? Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
Mervyn Lobo
2007-03-26 21:10:03 UTC
Post by JoeGoaUk
Global Goan Convention Expenses: Over Rs. 8 Lakhs
spent on Award Recipients' Air Fare/Hotel
Accommodation etc
Rs.3,26,,975 (reimbursed to 5)
2. Hotel accommodation to abv and Heads of
diplomatic missions: R.5,13,000.
3. Transport.....Rs.1,47, 892
4. Event Management...Rs.5,44,907
5. Trophies to 1. above ....Rs.1,12,410
6. Momentos & Souvenirs..... Rs.6,67,480
7. Exhibition of Goan Arts/paintings...Rs.1,36,300
8. Printing and Stationery......Rs.32,893
9. Advertisement and Publicity... Rs.2,52,600
Total: 34,37,732
=========================
Taken from today's GT (info obtained under RTI)
Joe,
1) The above numbers to not add to Rs. 34,37,732
Creative accounting or no one pays attention to
numbers?

2) Rs. 34,37,732 is appox US$78,000.00?

Don't forget there are also expenses after the
delegates go home as now there is a video to produce,
etc. I am looking forward to the video scene where
they arrest a delegate. That should take us all back
to the good ol' Goa and Salazar years.
Post by JoeGoaUk
The so called 'recipients' are they really Goans?
I think the real question is: "Do the people of Goa
really have this kind of money to waste on
celebrations?"

The question that really concerns me though is: "Would
any NRI invest in India now that the Goan NRI
commissioner has made it clear he has no hesitation in
arresting people without charges?"

Mervyn3.0

http://mail.yahoo.com
Eddie Fernandes
2007-03-27 14:17:02 UTC
Post by JoeGoaUk
9. Advertisement and Publicity... Rs.2,52,600
Total: 34,37,732
=========================

Folks,

I am intrigued by the revelation of the amount spent on advertising and
publicity - over 2.5 lakhs. I am sure that I am correct in assuming that
the main avenue of publicity was via GoaNet. Would it be appropriate to
enquire how much the Department of NRI Affairs, Govt. of Goa paid GoaNet?

The Global Goans website does not even have an acknowledgement of the
existence of GoaNet. But the sources it pays for publicity are named
prominently on its home page.

We were told that the official proceedings of the Convention would be posted
on the Global Goans site. When? The site has not been updated with any
news this year as far as I can tell. As usual we shall have to wait for the
eve of the next Convention for the slumbering giant to wake up and expect us
to be enthralled by his accomplishments and pitch in to support his dream!

Eddie Fernandes
Mervyn Lobo
2007-03-28 23:56:45 UTC
Post by Eddie Fernandes
I am intrigued by the revelation of the amount spent
on advertising and publicity - over 2.5 lakhs.
I am sure that I am correct in assuming that
the main avenue of publicity was via GoaNet.
Would it be appropriate to enquire how much the
Department of NRI Affairs, Govt. of Goa paid
GoaNet?
Eddie Fernandes,
There were BIG billboards in Goa advertising the NRI
meet. I guess someone was of the opinion that
non-resident Goans live in Goa and that was the best
place to advertise a NRI meet.

Secondly, two people I met in Goa told me that they
were requested at the last minute to "round up some
NRI's for the meet." It would be real interesting to
know how many of those who attended the meet were
NRI's and how many were actually residents of
Goa/India.
Post by Eddie Fernandes
We were told that the official proceedings of the
Convention would be posted on the Global Goans
site. When? The site has not been updated with any
news this year as far as I can tell.
The NRI Commissioner told me that:
1) He could not type.
2) Did not know how to use the Internet.
3) Had not heard of Goanet.

If the above is not bad enough, his staff are in
control of what messages he gets and does not get to
see. He had not received a single message I had sent
him. As far as updates on the official site, that
depends entirely on the whims of his staff.
Post by Eddie Fernandes
As usual we shall have to wait for the eve of
the next Convention for the slumbering giant to
wake up and expect us to be enthralled by his
accomplishments and pitch in to support his dream!
Rest assured that the NRI commissioner has no idea
that in order for any genuine NRI to attend, s/he
needs well in advance:
1) A copy of the agenda.
2) Confirmed dates.
3) Assurances that s/he will not be shouted down on or
arrested.

All three were not available for the inaugural meet.
As such, I guess the meet was for felicitation
purposes only. In that regard, Eduardo Faleiro did a
splendid job (having fun and spending the money).

I sincerely hope that the other NRI Commissioners in
India are of a better calibre.

Mervyn3.0

http://mail.yahoo.com
JoeGoaUk