[Goanet] Press Note for Kind favour of Publication - CITIZE'S (Of Goa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa University go Central?
floriano
2008-07-22 11:05:50 UTC
July 22, 2008

To,
NAVHIND TIMES, GOMANTAK TIMES, HERALD, GOMANTAK, NAVPRABHA, PUDHARI, TARUN
BHARAT, SUNAPARANT, GOAN OBSERVER, GOA TODAY, GOADOOT, ASIAN AGE, DECCAN
HERALD, TIMES OF INDIA-GOA, V-IXTT, GOAWORLDTODAY, GULF GOANS, GOANCAUSES,
GOANET,

Via telefax - email.

Sir,

Sub: Press Note for Kind favour of Publication.

This is to inform you that a newly initiated movement of the Citizens of
Goa, by the Citizens of Goa, for the Citizens of Goa is organizing a debate
on a motion ' SHOULD GOA UNIVERSITY GO CENTRAL'.

Kindly do the needful and oblige.

Thanking you,

Yours Sincerely,

Sd/-
(Floriano Lobo)
Convenor

PRESS NOTE

The recent newspaper reports on the possible up-gradation of the Goa
University has, apart from springing a surprise on the citizens of Goa,
brought to fore both 'positive' as well as 'negative' responses from the
more enlightened academicians as well as interested citizens of Goa.

In order to bring better awareness to the citizens of Goa on the pros and
cons of such a move, a 'Public Open Forum' in the name of 'CITIZEN'S (of
Goa) INITIATIVE has been organized in the City of Panjim at the Institute
Menezes Braganza (Main Hall) for July 30th (Wednesday), 2008 at 4.30 to 7.00
p.m. to debate this issue so that no doubt lingers in the mind of the Goan
whether such a move will be advantageous or not for the student community
of Goa as a whole and for Goa and Goans in general. Citizen's Initiative is
not linked, in anyway, to any political party or party/s or any other
organization/s but is purely what it is i.e the Initiative of the Citizens
of Goa. As such the financing burden of this programme in its entirety
will be borne by the attending citizens themselves by way of dropping their
small contributions towards offsetting the costs into the box.

The debate shall be moderated by Professor M.S. Kamat of Panjim. Professor
Kamat is a 'Fulbright' Scholar ( State Department, Govt. of U.S.A.) He is
also the Ex-Principal of Arts and Commerce College of Vasco da Gama, as
also the Ex-Member of the Executive of the Goa University. By virtue of
holding that position, Prof. Kamat has served on various committees and
sub-committees of Goa University during his time. Professor Kamat is
currently the Director of Goa Infotec Development Corporation.

This public debate is expected to set a precedent in the manner future
policies for the Governance of Goa are designed, keeping Goa's public well
informed about the pros and cons of such policies which are going to
directly or indirectly affect their lives in more ways than one.

The academicians of Goa are called upon to not only make their presence felt
at this public debate but also to voice their opinions on the vital issue of
setting up Educational standards for Goa and Goans. Needless to say that a
special call goes out to the student community, especially the future
University students to attend this debate in large numbers and to take part
in its deliberations in an organized manner.

Any queries regarding this programme may be directed to the convenor at
(0832) 2470223 , 9890470896 or floriano.lobo at gmail.com
Samir Kelekar
2008-07-22 14:22:17 UTC
floriano
To: goanet at lists.goanet.org
Post by floriano
The debate shall be moderated by Professor M.S. Kamat of Panjim. Professor
Kamat is a 'Fulbright' Scholar ( State Department, Govt. of U.S.A.) He is
also the Ex-Principal of Arts and Commerce College of Vasco da Gama, as
also the Ex-Member of the Executive of the Goa University. By virtue of
holding that position, Prof. Kamat has served on various committees and
sub-committees of Goa University during his time. Professor Kamat is
currently the Director of Goa Infotec Development Corporation.
It would be interesting to know, as part of the Board of Infotech corporation and as a citizen, what measures if any did Prof. Kamat take to prevent the huge scams that our Honorable IT minister is perpetuating by using Infotech Corporation.

regards,
Samir
floriano
2008-07-23 03:28:13 UTC
Sam,

I had misgivings when I got the diodata from Prof. Kamat himself when I
asked for it, to be released to the press. Therefore I made my own enquiries
in my small-rigid CIRCLE about the pros and cons of having Prof. Kamat as
the moderator of this 'purely Citizen's initiative', since I didn't want to
send the wrong signal to the people of Goa that this INITIATIVE could be the
insider's engineering. BECAUSE I CANNOT BE USED. And I have been assured by
reputed persons with integrity standing that the choice is good, that Prof.
Kamat is a class ACADEMICIAN and his being the Director of Infotec
Development Corporation of Goa will not affect his role as the moderator of
this very sensitive debate, the role of the Finance Minister aka Dayanand
Narvekar in the passing of the Budget notwithstanding.

However, this is a good opportunity for the concerned citizens like
yourself to question Prof. Kamat over his role in the Infotec Development
Corporation of Goa since he is coming in the open and I will endorse such a
move.

Believe you me, where I am concerned and (sort of in charge) the rod shall
never be spared when it comes to MISMANAGEMENT/MISAPPROPRIATION /WASTING
of the cake that is GOA.

BTW There was the possibility of Narayan Dessai co-moderating the
Initiative along with Prof. Kamat but Mr. Dessai gave way in favour of Prof.
Kamat.

rgds

floriano

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
floriano

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
floriano

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
floriano

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
floriano

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
floriano

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
floriano

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
Samir Kelekar
2008-07-23 03:34:41 UTC
Hi Floriano:
Thanks for your response.

Ask for all the board resolutions passed when this man was part of the director of Infotech Corporation as also notes from him about what he said on the board meetings,
and we will know whether he himself is liable for the scams or not. If
he has dissented/raised pertinent questions, hats off to him; if he has agreed or kept quiet, he becomes liable. Further, he has to ensure
that what he says is recorded in the board meetings.

It is as straightforward as that. Count me out of this/ also dont mention
the points that I have raised, till this matter is resolved satisfactorily and these should be done before the meeting.

He might be a great academician; I know of him to be one, however
one cannot separate these two things.

regards,
Samir
(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa
University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
Roland Francis
2008-07-23 11:51:10 UTC
Samir, it is not right that you put forward allegations or
insinuations against Prof Kamat (which may well be true) while keeping
yourself in the background while you make them.

Floriano (or any one else) cannot be proxy to your questions. What if
Kamat gives some answers which are untrue? Who has the necessary
backgound to counter them?

You make the talk. You must walk the talk.

Regards
Roland.
Roland Francis

Roland Francis

Roland Francis

Roland Francis

Roland Francis

Roland Francis

floriano

(0832) 2470223 , 9890470896 or floriano.lobo at gmail.com
Samir Kelekar

Samir
Samir Kelekar

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa
University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
floriano

(0832) 2470223 , 9890470896 or floriano.lobo at gmail.com
Samir Kelekar

Samir
Samir Kelekar

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa
University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
floriano

(0832) 2470223 , 9890470896 or floriano.lobo at gmail.com
Samir Kelekar

Samir
Samir Kelekar

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa
University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
floriano

(0832) 2470223 , 9890470896 or floriano.lobo at gmail.com
Samir Kelekar

Samir
Samir Kelekar

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa
University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
floriano

(0832) 2470223 , 9890470896 or floriano.lobo at gmail.com
Samir Kelekar

Samir
Samir Kelekar

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa
University goCentral?
floriano
Samir
floriano

(0832) 2470223 , 9890470896 or floriano.lobo at gmail.com
Samir Kelekar

Samir
Samir Kelekar

(OfGoa) INITIATIVE - A Public Debate - Should Goa
University goCentral?
floriano