The Global Goans IT Club - A proposal by Jason Monserrate
r.barreto
2006-05-24 08:46:28 UTC
Goenkars - where ever you may be ,
Goenkars you will always be !

During my last visit to Goa , I had the opportunity of meeting
many Young Goans , Goans who wanted to do something
for themselves and also help others.

Here - below are thoughts - which Jason has put on paper and
has asked me to share them with Goans world wide.

I do sincerly hope that we get positive support from Goans
all over the GOANWORLD - to the ideas expressed by
jason who resides in Goa.

WE need Volunteers - Can YOU help at all ? Any suggestions
you may want to share ...form a cooperative ?
or ....maybe you have some positive ideas too.

Thanks for your time .

rene barreto

000000000000000000000000000000

A PROPOSAL by Jason Monserrate
jasonmonserrate at yahoo.com

0000000000000000000000000000000

INTRODUCTION:

The Global Goans IT Club is a web based community that
seeks to promote the use of Information Technology and
Computers in the lives of lakhs of Goans, living in
Goa and elsewhere. The venture is purely non
commercial.

The objectives are as under
1) Making Goans across the world more accessible to
one another.
2) Help Goan businesses target a wider market through
the web.
3) Help promote the use of computers in backward
regions of Goans.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE WEBSITE (subject to change
as suggestions amd ideas come in):

The website is divided into 12 major sections.
2) Forums
3) Activities
4) News
5) Information
6) Deals
7) Jobs
8) E-learning
9) Downloads
10) Join us
11) Terms of Use
12)People

Home:
The home page has the the motto/vision of the Global
Goan IT Club.
It has a login link.
All other websites associated with the IT Club have a
link.

It has a link to google and a search facility either
on the web or withing the site.
It has a link called About Us - where people can get
information on how the club was started along with the
contact information of the founders and the Club's
committee members/volunteers.

Forums:

This is the place where you post messages and in turn
get replies. All messages posted are public. The user
can choose which forum he would like to have his say.
Choice of which forum he would like to have his
message posted is left upto the user. Everyone
visiting the site can post messages. Messages will be
moderated.
Forums can be navigated in 3 ways
1) By location - e.g. UK Goans, US Goans, Desi Goans,
Goa Chapter, etc
2) By levels - Novices, Fresh Software Engineers,
School Students, Industry Professionals, etc
3) By software users - Java, .Net, Linux Users, etc
User can post in any forum. e.g. A Goan student in the
US may post a query regarding his final year project
in one forum and may post another message about
meeting other Goan students in the US in another
forum.
A logged in user can create a new group and invite his
friends to join the group.
Activities:
This will give the users an overview of the various
activities undertaken by the Global Goan IT Club.
Activities include
1) teaching village folk and old people basic computer
applications like Word, Internet, Email.
2) development of software to simplify existing
processes. Depending on the demand for services
(software services or non IT services like healthcare,
for example) we try to arrange for service providers
in Goa to get in touch with those who want the
service.
3) organising workshops and seminars.
News:
A place where the major news headlines (political and
others) of the day is posted. Includes an archive
section where a calendar based approach enables users
to retrieve past news. To read more detailed news,
users are given links to news websites.
Information:
There are links to
1) All colleges in Goa
2) All IT Training Centres
3) Hardware/Software Dealers
4) Software Services
5) Bookstores
6) Other non IT related business
Deals:
Advertising - People advertise, sell and buy.
Jobs:
Resumes are submitted and jobs are advertised.
E-Learning:
Online tutorials are posted/uploaded.
Links to other sites where good tutorials are
available.
E-books freely downloadable.
One - To - One tutorials.
Downloads:
Provision for uploading software is available.
Only members can download. A track is kept of number
of downloads and uploads. Certain software cannot be
downloaded unless you have uploaded something.
Help Us/Join Us:
Volunteer
Link to us
Terms of Use:
Terms and conditions of joining.
People:
A searchable database of Goans who want to get
themselves listed.

CURRENT DEVELOPMENT

The website will contain 12 major sections. Two of of
these sections are explained in detail below and are
under development. The remaining parts are still in
the planning, development and finalization phase.
A searchable database of Goans
This database will contain details of Goans who choose
to get themselves listed in the database. The database
can be accessed by anyone who wishes to search for
anyone by first name or last name or location or
profession or a combination of these criteria. This
facility will help Goans across the globe to locate
fellow Goans in other parts of the world. This will
lead to greater networking and a stronger and more
closely knit global Goan community.

We would like you to fill in the following details
*First Name :
*Last Name :
*Current Address:
*Original Address(in Goa):
*Occupation/Profession:
Company Name:
Phone:
Website:
*Email:
*Interests:

Comments and Suggestions:
Any other relevant information:
* entries are compulsory
Multiple forums for discussion
There will be forums or discussion boards for the
sharing of ideas and information. The forums will be
based on specific topics. For example, Goan software
professionals working in Bangalore or Poona or
elsewhere will have a seperate forum while Goan system
administrators or chemists or mechanical engineers
will each have a seperate forum. Navigation through
the forums will be simplified and easy to grasp.

PROFESSION LOCATION
INTERESTS/ISSUES GOAN
VILLAGE/TOWN
For the purpose of imagination we have broken down the
forums into four broad categories (more categories can
be added at any stage based on the need. Each sub
category has its forum and even subforums.)

1) Profession - For example, software engineers,
nurses, lawyers, sportspersons, etc.

2) Location - UK Goans, East Africa Goans, USA Goans,
Gulf Goans, etc.

3) Interest - Tiatr lovers, soccer lovers, Goan
political scene, NRI issues, etc.

4) Goan village/town - Mapusa, Vasco, Saligao,
Navelim, etc.

Please send suggestions/comments/ideas to
jasonmonserrate at yahoo.com

The above document is just a proposal. As suggestions,
comments and ideas troop in, it will be reworked.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Frederick Noronha
2006-05-24 22:42:51 UTC
Hi Jason, There already are a couple of fairly-active organisations
based in Goa. One is the Computer Society of India,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/csi-goa and the other is the India Linux

We invite you to join both and help build bridges between Goa and its diaspora.

The ILUG, in particular, has been having some very interesting times
in terms of growing numerically, introducing youngsters to technology,
and encouraging talent from Goa to build itself up in a way that it
can access top-class jobs -- in Goa, in the rest of India, and abroad
too. Best wishes, FN

jasonmonserrate at yahoo.com

0000000000000000000000000000000

INTRODUCTION:

The Global Goans IT Club is a web based community that
seeks to promote the use of Information Technology and
Computers in the lives of lakhs of Goans, living in
Goa and elsewhere. The venture is purely non
commercial.
Frederick 'FN' Noronha | Yahoomessenger: fredericknoronha
http://fn.goa-india.org | fred at bytesforall.org
Independent Journalist | +91(832)2409490 Cell 9822122436
Photographs from Goa: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fn-goa/popular-views/
r.barreto

jasonmonserrate at yahoo.com

Frederick Noronha