Re: Holy Warriors
Gilbert Lawrence
2006-05-22 10:46:03 UTC
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for keeping us posted on Edna Fernandes' book Holy Warriors. I along with many Goans are delighted her book has made it on to the best seller's list. Hopefully many people are reading her three-year research material and are gaining much wisdom. Do you think the controversy on Goanet helped provide more publicity to the book?:=))

I am sure many Goans are proud of Edna and join her in celebrating her success. A few may have retracted into their holes and are awaiting the next tide to salvage them. :=))
I hope Edna's lead supporter on Goanet, Elisabeth has read your post and the British review of her book. Or else she may still be wading through her khatli potlis.:=))
Regards, GL
Elvira da Silva
2006-05-11 04:37:30 UTC
Dear Sir,

I have read with amusement and interest, the back and forth on your site about
the book "Holy Warriors" which was the subect of fascinating discussion at the
London School of Economics last night.

The book includes a section on the erosion of Goan Catholic identity, as well
as the story of the Inquisition in Goa under St Francis Xavier. Its subject is
topical and relevant to our community. It explores what makes a holy warrior
in India today, written by a Goan journalist.

I enclose an extract from a speech by a Professor John Harriss, a director of
research at the LSE and India expert, who spoke at a discussion on the book --

"The book is about religion and politics in contemporary India, and she writes
about Christians and Sikhs, as well as Hindus and Muslims.

"I think that some of the most interesting and also the most powerful parts of
the book are about the dilemmas of Goanese Catholics, and the persisting pain
felt amongst Sikhs over the desecration of the Golden Temple, the terror of
the violence against them in Delhi following the assassination of Mrs Gandhi
in 1984, and then over the agonies surrounding the ?disappearances? of people
that took place during the conflict in Punjab.

"As a whole I think that the book conveys extraordinarily well, and with great
sensitivity, how the construction of the ?Other? as an object of fear, or a
symbol of historic wrongs done against ?Us?, creates its own effects, and
gives rise to a spiral of fear and hate that, once it has taken hold, is
extremely hard to check..."

Perhaps one of our Goans can review this book. I think it's worth it.

Mrs Da Silva

Read all Goanet messages at:
http://www.goanet.org/archive.php?name=News&list=goanet
Gilbert Lawrence