Plagiarism - Fred's response
Gilbert Lawrence
2007-03-25 21:01:05 UTC
Hi Fred,

Thanks for your post. My first use of the word "Self-plagiarism" was explained as "for want of a better term". This suggest that I made up this word. I am glad and relieved to know that this is a well-accepted concept (and concern) and a legitimate term. And I assume, here is the rub about creative and new ideas - who gets credit? I am still waiting to get your response on the term FUD?

Jose's response about the medical student plagiarizing data was misinterpreted / misrepresented to reflect the student's "own data", (see below). A little logic would suggest that the student has NO "his (own) data, fact and information". He is only a medical student. And his audience knows that. So someone in the audience challenging / accusing the medical student for appearing to present the data as his own, in the USA is called a "Jerk" and in Goa should be called a "Crab".

There was no trap in my questions to Jose. I was reporting what is done routinely in our hospital's training. Interestingly no one new responded, that what this medical student did was criminal, unethical, or wrong; which is what some original posts claimed. Perhaps this is what goes on all the time, and hence is the 'standard practice'. So should we be changing our standard practice to satisfy the crabs and the jerks? I am not into name calling. The serious issue is should native Goans (and other countries) change the training of / chill with FUD their undergraduate and graduate students, to satisfy a few of those in the USA? And many of these do not even do what they state.

The issue of self-plagiarism comes up FREQUENTLY in Goanet posts, where the same authors RECYCLE the same thoughts, without advancing the dialogue. In the science world such practices take up / waste journal pages. In the web world, this practice is a waste of bandwidth and other readers' time, energy and interest. So do you think we should encourage an end to this practice - at least from the respected Goans?

In the various posts on the thread, there is a disconnect of a bold / strong statements, and actual practice (sometimes by the same individual). This is clearly seen in what you wrote and the changing responses you received. Every step of the way, there is backing-down from the initial chest-pounding and strong language. Yet, they themselves are great at net-surfing and using material in blogs without references to credit the original sources. Is the chest-pounding a form of self-promotion?; which they decry:=))
Kind Regards, GL

---------------- Frederick wrote:

Obviously Gilbert has been keeping his trump card close to his chest, and letting others like Santosh and Jose walk into a trap of his making... well, you can self-plagiarise yourself! If you go by the current orthodoxy at least. Check the URL below... as mentioned. FN
7: Was this medical student plagiarizing his data, facts and information?
jc 7: A person cannot plagiarise his (own) data, facts and information
Frederick "FN" Noronha
2007-03-26 15:26:08 UTC
Post by Gilbert Lawrence
I am still waiting to get your response on the term FUD?
When it comes to understanding new terms and concepts, there is a
great source in that non-hierarchical, volunteer-crafted,
counter-intuitive project called the Wikipeda, which we all love to
berate! So let me Wikiplagarise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear%2C_uncertainty_and_doubt
Fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) is a sales or marketing strategy of
disseminating negative (and vague) information on a competitor's
product. The term originated to describe disinformation tactics in the
computer hardware industry and has since been used more broadly. FUD
is a manifestation of the appeal to fear
Post by Gilbert Lawrence
The issue of self-plagiarism comes up FREQUENTLY in Goanet posts,
where the same authors RECYCLE the same thoughts, without
advancing the dialogue. In the science world such practices take up
This is a unique contribution to this debate. I must confess I didn't
see things in this light earlier! Also, can we think of a new category
called questionagarise (for people who turn arguments into
counter-questions and then try to shoot you with them)? FN
--
FN M: 0091 9822122436 P: +91-832-240-9490 (after 1300IST please)
http://fn.goa-india.org http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com
What bloggers are saying about Goa: http://planet.goa-india.org/
Gilbert Lawrence

Frederick "FN" Noronha