CM PARRIKAR SAYS SPECIAL STATUS FOR GOA, BUT WELCOMES ONE MORE MIGRANT
Aires Rodrigues
2013-07-29 17:09:03 UTC
Today Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar stands totally exposed on his so
called hoax mantra of Special Status for Goa by having gone out of the way
to usher in another migrant Leena Mehandale as the Chief Information
Commissioner of Goa. Her selection was a foregone conclusion and that mere
formality by the Selection committee today was a sheer farce.

Our friend Late Matanhy Saldanha must be rolling in his grave seeing that
his once trusted friend is going back on what he had promised him and had
even vowed over his grave to protect Goa for Goans.

It is now apparent that Manohar Parrikar has lost is all. His so called
love for Goa and all his tall promises now stand vanquished. All he now
cares is his Almighty Chair. But how long will all that last you, Mr. Chief
Minister.
Aires Rodrigues
T1 - B30, Ribandar Retreat
Ribandar - Goa - 403006
Mobile: 9822684372
Tim de Mello
2013-07-29 18:18:06 UTC
I am not sure I understand Aires' point here.
Does Special Status for Goa (SSG) means that all jobs in Goa must be filled by Goans?

I think that if that is the goal of the SSG (MSSG or GMFSS) then Goa and Goans will be all the poorer for it.

I had a quick scan of Smt. Leena Mehendale's resume (http://www.cgat.gov.in/leenamehendale.pdf).
Looks very impressive.

Do we not want the best candidates for our top jobs?

Who would Aires suggest fill that post?

Tim de Mello

Jose Colaco
2013-07-29 20:11:20 UTC
Tim de Mello <timdemello2 at hotmail.com> wrote

I had a quick scan of Smt. Leena Mehendale's resume (http://www.cgat.gov.in/leenamehendale.pdf).
Looks very impressive.

Do we not want the best candidates for our top jobs?

Who would Aires suggest fill that post?

COMMENT:

Dear Tim,

You asked some interesting questions ( possibly)of Aires. So please allow me to ask a few questions of you on this matter:

1: if you are confident that Mrs. Mehendale is the 'best candidate for the post', please advise your basis for coming to that conclusion.

Would you know:

2: where and when this post was advertised?
3: if there was an interview?
4: if a fairly good knowledge of Goa and Goans was part of the required knowledge base?
5: if any Goans had applied?
6: why they were not selected?
7: what specific part of her CV made her the best candidate?
8: if this is the process of appointments in other places in which you have lived and worked?
9: would a non-French speaking person like me would be appointed Information Commissioner in Quebec?
10: is Konkani the official language of Goa? Is she fluent in Konkani?
11: Is Goa already part of Maharashtra?
12: WHAT ? ? ! Not waiting for MOPA?

jc

Tim de Mello
2013-07-29 21:26:55 UTC
Hello JC:

I was just going on the basis of Aires' post.

> 2: where and when this post was advertised?
> 3: if there was an interview?

Aires: "Her selection was a foregone conclusion and that mere
formality by the Selection committee . . ."

There appears to have been a selection - implying other candidates - and then a selection committee.

> 4: if a fairly good knowledge of Goa and Goans was part of the required
> knowledge base?
> 5: if any Goans had applied?
> 6: why they were not selected?

I think that is best asked of the selection committee. I assume they know.

> 7: what specific part of her CV made her the best candidate?

I did not say this.
I just asked if Goa should not be selecting the best from all of India for senior positions.

> 8: if this is the process of appointments in other places in which you
> have lived and worked?
> 9: would a non-French speaking person like me would be appointed
> Information Commissioner in Quebec?

Some government appointments are "patronage" appointments. We have many cases of these type of appointments in Canada and Britain.

> 10: is Konkani the official language of Goa? Is she fluent in Konkani?

Yes Konkani is. But the Official Languages Act also says "Marathi shall be used for all or any of the official purposes."

> 11: Is Goa already part of Maharashtra?
> 12: WHAT ? ? ! Not waiting for MOPA?

?????

Om Shanti

Tim de Mello

________________________________

Tim de Mello
2013-07-29 21:26:55 UTC
Hello JC:

I was just going on the basis of Aires' post.

> 2: where and when this post was advertised?
> 3: if there was an interview?

Aires: "Her selection was a foregone conclusion and that mere
formality by the Selection committee . . ."

There appears to have been a selection - implying other candidates - and then a selection committee.

> 4: if a fairly good knowledge of Goa and Goans was part of the required
> knowledge base?
> 5: if any Goans had applied?
> 6: why they were not selected?

I think that is best asked of the selection committee. I assume they know.

> 7: what specific part of her CV made her the best candidate?

I did not say this.
I just asked if Goa should not be selecting the best from all of India for senior positions.

> 8: if this is the process of appointments in other places in which you
> have lived and worked?
> 9: would a non-French speaking person like me would be appointed
> Information Commissioner in Quebec?

Some government appointments are "patronage" appointments. We have many cases of these type of appointments in Canada and Britain.

> 10: is Konkani the official language of Goa? Is she fluent in Konkani?

Yes Konkani is. But the Official Languages Act also says "Marathi shall be used for all or any of the official purposes."

> 11: Is Goa already part of Maharashtra?
> 12: WHAT ? ? ! Not waiting for MOPA?

?????

Om Shanti

Tim de Mello

________________________________

Tim de Mello
2013-07-29 21:26:55 UTC
Hello JC:

I was just going on the basis of Aires' post.

> 2: where and when this post was advertised?
> 3: if there was an interview?

Aires: "Her selection was a foregone conclusion and that mere
formality by the Selection committee . . ."

There appears to have been a selection - implying other candidates - and then a selection committee.

> 4: if a fairly good knowledge of Goa and Goans was part of the required
> knowledge base?
> 5: if any Goans had applied?
> 6: why they were not selected?

I think that is best asked of the selection committee. I assume they know.

> 7: what specific part of her CV made her the best candidate?

I did not say this.
I just asked if Goa should not be selecting the best from all of India for senior positions.

> 8: if this is the process of appointments in other places in which you
> have lived and worked?
> 9: would a non-French speaking person like me would be appointed
> Information Commissioner in Quebec?

Some government appointments are "patronage" appointments. We have many cases of these type of appointments in Canada and Britain.

> 10: is Konkani the official language of Goa? Is she fluent in Konkani?

Yes Konkani is. But the Official Languages Act also says "Marathi shall be used for all or any of the official purposes."

> 11: Is Goa already part of Maharashtra?
> 12: WHAT ? ? ! Not waiting for MOPA?

?????

Om Shanti

Tim de Mello

________________________________

Tim de Mello
2013-07-29 21:26:55 UTC
Hello JC:

I was just going on the basis of Aires' post.

> 2: where and when this post was advertised?
> 3: if there was an interview?

Aires: "Her selection was a foregone conclusion and that mere
formality by the Selection committee . . ."

There appears to have been a selection - implying other candidates - and then a selection committee.

> 4: if a fairly good knowledge of Goa and Goans was part of the required
> knowledge base?
> 5: if any Goans had applied?
> 6: why they were not selected?

I think that is best asked of the selection committee. I assume they know.

> 7: what specific part of her CV made her the best candidate?

I did not say this.
I just asked if Goa should not be selecting the best from all of India for senior positions.

> 8: if this is the process of appointments in other places in which you
> have lived and worked?
> 9: would a non-French speaking person like me would be appointed
> Information Commissioner in Quebec?

Some government appointments are "patronage" appointments. We have many cases of these type of appointments in Canada and Britain.

> 10: is Konkani the official language of Goa? Is she fluent in Konkani?

Yes Konkani is. But the Official Languages Act also says "Marathi shall be used for all or any of the official purposes."

> 11: Is Goa already part of Maharashtra?
> 12: WHAT ? ? ! Not waiting for MOPA?

?????

Om Shanti

Tim de Mello

________________________________

Tim de Mello
2013-07-29 21:26:55 UTC
Hello JC:

I was just going on the basis of Aires' post.

> 2: where and when this post was advertised?
> 3: if there was an interview?

Aires: "Her selection was a foregone conclusion and that mere
formality by the Selection committee . . ."

There appears to have been a selection - implying other candidates - and then a selection committee.

> 4: if a fairly good knowledge of Goa and Goans was part of the required
> knowledge base?
> 5: if any Goans had applied?
> 6: why they were not selected?

I think that is best asked of the selection committee. I assume they know.

> 7: what specific part of her CV made her the best candidate?

I did not say this.
I just asked if Goa should not be selecting the best from all of India for senior positions.

> 8: if this is the process of appointments in other places in which you
> have lived and worked?
> 9: would a non-French speaking person like me would be appointed
> Information Commissioner in Quebec?

Some government appointments are "patronage" appointments. We have many cases of these type of appointments in Canada and Britain.

> 10: is Konkani the official language of Goa? Is she fluent in Konkani?

Yes Konkani is. But the Official Languages Act also says "Marathi shall be used for all or any of the official purposes."

> 11: Is Goa already part of Maharashtra?
> 12: WHAT ? ? ! Not waiting for MOPA?

?????

Om Shanti

Tim de Mello

________________________________

Samir Kelekar
2013-08-08 18:01:12 UTC
what parochial? If he has to be true to his American citizenship, he has to raise the dollar to 100 rupees, ?not lower it.
Where does his allegiance lie?

This is an obvious conflict of interest.

samir

________________________________
2013-08-09 01:11:28 UTC
Samir Kelekar wrote:
> what parochial? If he has to be true to his American citizenship, he has to raise the dollar?
> to 100 rupees, ?not lower it.

> Where does his allegiance lie?
>
> This is an obvious conflict of interest.

samir,
We live in a global village now. The best man for any job lives just an email away. The best employers here in the west have talent scouts whose only responsibility is to secure high caliber talent. I just read an article written by the head of one of Canada's top five banks where he mentioned that on his first month as head of the bank, he identified the top four prospects for him to hand over his legacy i.e. in about seven years time. The bank head needed that amount of time to groom people capable of handling the job.

As for your question of where the new BOI Governor's allegiance lies, let me explain it this way. Three Canadian citizens have returned to their countries in Europe to become Prime Ministers or head of government there. One of these had run away from her country a refuge, only to be invited back to become the President. The candidate moving across the world for the new job, is giving up a good one for the challenge of another. If he does a good job, he gets plum assignments later. If he fails, he becomes unemployable in two countries.

In Africa people who had been working for the World Bank or IMF for decades are now returning to become President of their country. The main concern among African voters is whether the person is qualified to make improvements to the living standards of the citizens. Those opposing the return of such qualified economists come up with a strange bag of objections, my favourite being, "He has lived outside the country for 20 years, what does he know about whats going on here."?

As long as a position calls for academic qualifications and experience, one has to hire the best qualified candidate regardless of what travel documents he is holding. The problem, the real problem, the one that you and I really have to watch out for is when the candidates qualification is that he was born on an auspicious day, on a house facing the east, and is the third child of a priest.?

Oh! and his father was friends with the last three PM's of India.

Mervyn
Mervyn Lobo
2013-08-09 01:11:28 UTC

Mervyn
Mervyn Lobo
2013-08-09 01:11:28 UTC

Mervyn
Mervyn Lobo
2013-08-09 01:11:28 UTC

Mervyn
Mervyn Lobo
2013-08-09 01:11:28 UTC

Mervyn
Tim de Mello
2013-08-08 17:59:13 UTC

Samir Kelekar

Samir Kelekar

Samir Kelekar

Samir Kelekar

Tim de Mello
2013-08-08 17:59:13 UTC

Tim de Mello
2013-08-08 17:59:13 UTC

Tim de Mello
2013-08-08 17:59:13 UTC

Tim de Mello
2013-08-08 17:59:13 UTC

Jose Colaco

Jose Colaco

Jose Colaco

Jose Colaco

Aires Rodrigues

Mobile: 9822684372
Tim de Mello
2013-07-29 18:18:06 UTC

Aires Rodrigues

Mobile: 9822684372
Tim de Mello
2013-07-29 18:18:06 UTC

Aires Rodrigues

Mobile: 9822684372
Tim de Mello
2013-07-29 18:18:06 UTC

Aires Rodrigues

Mobile: 9822684372
Tim de Mello
2013-07-29 18:18:06 UTC

Vivian A. DSouza
2013-08-09 09:34:00 UTC
I have no problem with the best person being selected for the job of Governor of the Reserve Bank
of India, whether he comes from Timbuktu or wherever. My question is,that non-citizens cannot take up gainful employment in India according to Indian laws. Are the laws bent in this special
case ?? Also actresses from other countries are flocking to Bollywood. How are they allowed to
work in India ? I would like to take up gainful employment in Inda but cannot because of my
foreign citizenship.....why not ?
Jose Colaco
2013-08-09 11:03:58 UTC
Vivian almost made a good point.

1: Non-nationals ARE able and DO work in India by way of permits....in private enterprise.

2: The restriction is in Government jobs. This is also a expressly stated bar in the case of OCIs, which the said gentleman is reported to be.

3: to Tim, I ask: What next? The Chief of Goa Police from Timbuktu?

jc

foreign citizenship"
Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا
2013-08-09 11:47:03 UTC
Are you sure he's not an Indian national? This news seems to be emanating
from a single source, though I could be wrong on this. In recent times,
more so with the run up to the 2014 elections, there's a lot of politics
being played with the news... sometimes for partisan political purposes.

I may be wrong on this one, but it might be sensible to check up -- before
commenting -- whether the Reserve Bank of India Governor is indeed a US
citizen or not. Else, we might end up like we recently did with a huge
online debate based largely on one footnote of a lengthy academic essay
written a priest (Fr Victor Ferrao) who is hardly the Catholic bigot he was
made out to be!

Of course, the more serious issue about national policy is the politics or
the person nominated in the post.

Is it a given that every Indian national would have naturally the country's
interest topmost? We have politicians who claim to be hyper "nationalist"
in approach to politics or religion, but have economic policies that might
be more suited to the Brettenwood twins which once employed them (and
probably still pay them fat pensions...) Read Davidson Budhoo's book on
this, and some of his work incidentally does have a Goa link
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/IMF_WB/Budhoo_IMF.html

Likewise, would every foreign national necessarily have an approach opposed
to the interest of the Indian common(wo)man? I can immediately think of the
work of the economist Jean Dreze or the architect Laurie Baker, who
definitely started out as non-nationals but whose work has touched the
lives of millions.

FN

PS: On another track, if a Goenkar / Indian / Portuguese national can be a
pediatrician in the Bahamas, why can't someone from almost as far as
Timbucktoo be the police chief of Goa? Just as it depends how many kids are
being cured (or how many questions are being asked in online fora), here
too, the test would be how well the law-and-order situation is
maintained... not the ethnicity or origins of the incumbent.
colaco1 at gmail.com (J. Colaco )
2013-08-09 13:48:41 UTC
Looks like the August summer heat is getting to some of us, yet again. No
wonder FN has got himself into a tangle.

I'd say this to FN: I know you work hard but please read carefully before
you shoot from the hip.

My post was based on the point Vivian was making i.e. Inability of
non-Nationals to be gainfully employed in India.

I disagreed with Vivian on that point.

I also pointed out the law as it stands in India and applicable to India
esp wrt OCIs. FN would do well to know that different countries have
different laws based upon their own circumstances.

BTW: So that FN understands, a Goan with Portuguese nationality has NO bar
from obtaining work-permits or permanent status with the 'right to work' in
a Western country IF the conditions for such are met.

Repeat Advice (first to myself): Please engage (my) your brain before (I)
you open (my) your mouth.

jc

jc's response to Vivian

"Vivian almost made a good point.

1: Non-nationals ARE able and DO work in India by way of permits....in
private enterprise.
2: The restriction is in Government jobs. This is also an expressly stated
Santosh Helekar
2013-08-09 15:56:40 UTC
> I may be wrong on this one, but it might be sensible to check up -- before
> commenting -- whether the Reserve Bank of India Governor is indeed a US
> citizen or not. Else, we might end up like we recently did with a huge
> online debate based largely on one footnote of a lengthy academic essay
> written a priest (Fr Victor Ferrao) who is hardly the Catholic bigot he was
> made out to be!
>?

Yes, there are politically motivated distortions. For example, the above claim is a classic example of a politically motivated fabrication - namely that this was about one footnote, and that it was a debacle from the standpoint of people who pointed out the revision of history. This persistent fabrication of FN Noronha has been corrected by more than one person in more than one Goan forum. Indeed, Fr. Ferrao himself has tried to correct his erroneous statements about Goan history made in the main text of his article in response to feedback from me and others.

Cheers,

Santosh
colaco1 at gmail.com (J. Colaco )

Santosh Helekar
2013-08-09 15:56:40 UTC

Santosh
colaco1 at gmail.com (J. Colaco )

Santosh Helekar
2013-08-09 15:56:40 UTC

Santosh
colaco1 at gmail.com (J. Colaco )

Santosh Helekar
2013-08-09 15:56:40 UTC

Santosh
colaco1 at gmail.com (J. Colaco )

Santosh Helekar
2013-08-09 15:56:40 UTC

Santosh
Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا

Jose Colaco

foreign citizenship"
Jose Colaco

foreign citizenship"
Jose Colaco

foreign citizenship"
Jose Colaco

foreign citizenship"
manuel tavares
2013-08-10 01:15:36 UTC
I agree with Tim de Mello that perhaps we should give outsiders a chance. Raghuram Goving Rajan should therefore be given this chance and perhaps he could institute the necessary changes to ensure that India's Economy grows and is not stagnant as it is at present. He could perhaps revise and introduce new rules which will ensure that those who have sent their money abroad in numbered Swiss accounts are made to repatriate the funds which should be used for funding development, and the perpetrators should be made to face the music for contravening the exchange control laws. India needs fresh blood, possibly those brought up in the west where corruption is not such a pathetic scourge as it is in India.

Perhaps India needs people of Indian descent who have a different view of life to head all major posts in the government from the P.M. down. People who can institute a revolutionary form of government and get rid of the rampant corruption which exists in ever sphere of life in India. A drastic change with a zero tolerance towards bribery and corruption is the only way out of the mess which India is currently in. Every politician entering Government in India nowadays does not have the welfare of India and its people at heart. They only serve their own personal interest and enter politics solely to profit from their position.

Let us monitor Mr. Rajan's approach and track his moves and if he is successful, then we have an example to follow. People should back candidates of substance and stature who would not succumb to temptation of bribery and corruption.I know that vote banks are a problem but if sufficient aam aadmi stand up and not be swayed by cheap and non lasting perks like Feni and Food and any other give away that these corrupt politicians are using, then maybe India can be resurrected and be the true world power that it should be.

Manuel (Eddie) Tavares
Gabe Menezes
2013-08-10 10:25:46 UTC
On 10 August 2013 02:15, manuel tavares <duketa at bell.net> wrote:

> I agree with Tim de Mello that perhaps we should give outsiders a chance.
> Raghuram Goving Rajan should therefore be given this chance and perhaps he
> could institute the necessary changes to ensure that India's Economy grows
> and is not stagnant as it is at present. He could perhaps revise and
> introduce new rules which will ensure that those who have sent their money
> abroad in numbered Swiss accounts are made to repatriate the funds which
> should be used for funding development, and the perpetrators should be
> made to face the music for contravening the exchange control laws. India
> needs fresh blood, possibly those brought up in the west where corruption
> is not such a pathetic scourge as it is in India........
>
> Manuel (Eddie) Tavares

REPLY: Tall order for the man; the Rupee touched 60.86 to USD and 94.38 to
Pound Sterling. As the US economy grows, there will be outflows of money
from emerging markets back to the USA and consequently Countries like India
will suffer exchange rate wise and the stock market.

Here in Blighty we had an American in charge of our Underground Transport
system and at one time there were thoughts about bringing in an American to
head the Met Police Force. The oldest Central bank in the World now has a
Canadian in charge - whether or not he did wonders for Canada, which
escaped the trials and travails that beset the rest of the World bar
Australia, is debatable.

Whether he does wonders for the U.K. the proof will be in the pudding or
may be not - the UK is slowly but surely in first gear! will take years to
cruise...

I wish the new Governor of the Reserve Bank of India the best of British
luck!

--
DEV BOREM KORUM

Gabe Menezes.

--
DEV BOREM KORUM

Gabe Menezes.
colaco1 at gmail.com (J. Colaco )
2013-08-10 17:25:19 UTC
On 9 August 2013 21:15, manuel tavares wrote: I agree with Tim de
Mello that perhaps we should give outsiders a chance.

COMMENT:

Has Tim de Mello suggested/written/implied that "we should give
outsiders a CHANCE."?

>From my reading, and I stand corrected if I am wrong, Tim has only
advocated the Best Person for the job; NO question of giving anybody
any CHANCE here. This ain't a 20-20 tennis ball village cricket game
to give somebody a CHANCE.

In principle, I agree with Tim.

My question wrt to this case is based on the following: If the
individual is an OCI and the position he is appointed to a Government
one, doesn't the Law preventing OCIs holding Govt jobs merit amending?

jc
Mervyn Lobo
2013-08-10 20:12:44 UTC
manuel tavares wrote:
>I agree with Tim de Mello that perhaps we should give outsiders a chance. Raghuram?
>Goving Rajan should therefore be given this chance and perhaps he could institute the?
>necessary changes to ensure that India's Economy grows and is not stagnant as it is?
>at present. He could perhaps revise and introduce new rules which will ensure that those?
>who have sent their money abroad in numbered Swiss accounts are made to repatriate?
>the? funds which should be used for funding development, and? the perpetrators should be?
>made to face the music for contravening the exchange control laws. India needs fresh blood,?
>possibly those brought up in the west where corruption is not such a pathetic scourge as it is?
>in India.

Manuel (Eddie) Tavares,
No Indian Govt will succeed in forcing Indians to declare and return to India deposits they have in Swiss accounts. For the past three years, the US govt has been trying to get its citizens to do the same and has failed too. The money is in Switzerland for a reason. The most common reasons are:
1) It is illegal money.
2) Taxes have not been paid on acquiring the wealth.
3) It is kept abroad for emergency purposes.

The only time the deposits in Swiss banks will be returned to the country of origin is when it becomes much more beneficial for the owner of the deposits to do so.?

For this you need:
a) a tax amnesty and?
2) a financial reward to those who do repatriate their money.

India does not have a problem with capital. The problem is that there are few places where the middle-class can invest their savings. Capital markets are not developed and interest rates are negative i.e. below the rate of inflation. The two places where people can, and do, invest in is real estate and gold.

Real estate and gold does not develop any economy.

The challenge for the next Governor of the RBI is to make it worth while for people to hold their wealth in bank deposits or savings certificates. Interest rates have to be higher than inflation. The second challenge, is to make is easier for entrepreneurs to tap into these savings/capital.?

These are the two challenges that the next Governor has, regardless of where he is from.

Mervyn
Gabe Menezes
2013-08-10 10:25:46 UTC

Gabe Menezes.