[Goanet] Corrupt Politicians and A Dishonest Vote-Bank
manuel tavares
2010-08-28 01:58:20 UTC
Arwin bab, I am truly perplexed with the situation that exists in Goa today. When will Goans who are in Goa wake up and take charge of their own destiny? We need to take up the cudgel and literally obliterate these corrupt politicians who will even strip us of our Khashtis if they are allowed to continue in the current manner unchecked. I am also distressed to learn that many Goans are not turning up to vote. What can we do to motivate them? Do they not see what is happening to them and their State which they are allowing to be plundered and looted before their very own eyes? The Goans in Goa certainly can see that Politicians are enriching themselves at the expense of the people and Goa. Another thing that perplexes me is, isn't there any system of governance in the whole state that allows for the audit and prosecution of people who are acquiring immense wealth illegally for which they are not accounting and not paying tax to the Government? These politicians and other civil servants seem to be the GOA MAFIA and all fair minded Goans, who I am sure are the majority, need to unanimously condemn and vote out of office if Goa is to prosper. Influx of migrants from other stated must also be curtailed and if possible, they should not have voting rights in Goa as they are not of Goan origin and cannot trace their ancestry to Goa. Also, Laws must be passed making elected officials to declare their assets on taking office (Substantiated) and accounting for any increase in assets on relinquishing office just like in the USA. This will allow for the accountability of those in office. Any discrepancies must be investigated thoroughly and any unsubstantiated increases forfeited to the state and the persons responsible should be prosecuted and jailed if found liable. This should be the first order of any new government elected forthwith. This will dissuade persons who have ulterior motives from standing for elections. It should be an honor to be elected to the legislature that is why in the UK they are called honorable. Let us therefore elect honorable members to the Legislature.

GOANS IN GOA, THIS IS MY CHALLENGE TO YOU. WAKE UP NOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE AND ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY OF ENSURING THAT YOU PROTECT YOUR HERITAGE AND ENSURE THAT YOU ENJOY THE FRUITS OF THE LAND WHICH IS RIGHTFULLY YOURS AND BELONGS TO ALL GOANS NOT TO THE CORRUPT FEW WHO ARE SELFISHLY EXPLOITING AND STEELING THE RICHES OF THE LAND FOR THEIR OWN ENRICHMENT.

Regards and best wishes.

Manuel (Eddie) Tavares.
Carmen Miranda
2010-08-29 10:06:03 UTC
Manuel (Eddie) bab,
I refer here to your mail to Arwinbab.
It is interesting the amount of WAKE UP CALLS BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE to the
goans in Goa I regularly see in Goanet, and no signs of them waking up at
all! Did it occur to you that Goans are not turning up to vote perhaps
because there is no one worth voting for? All they have is the same
politicians over and over again like a broken old record, playing the same
old out of tune lament.....the problem is that when some of them wake up
they take measures which are seriously questionable like for example
getting rid of one of the best hopes for Goa, the honorable Dr Oscar Rebelo!

And Manuel bab, also it is worth keeping in mind that there is a problem of
limitations of vocabulary knowledge among our politicians in Goa - they
don't know the meaning of words like honorable, transparency, audit and
prosecution of politicians and government officials , governance....they
don't exist in their dictionaries. Those guys are in power just to enriching
themselves, and they don't have a clue about anything else because most of
them lack basic education. I wonder sometimes if they are even remotely
aware of the tremendous longterm damage they are causing to Goa pursuing
misguided ideas of development and progress.

Finally in my modest opinion, we should really find a concrete way to give
some hands-on help to our fellow goans in Goa, instead of just endless and
ineffective wake up calls and advice and suggestions. I found that our
sleeping goans in Goa get most irritated by the wake calls, and think what
is hapening in Goa is their business and they know better, and who are we
goans abroad to think we can give them any advise!?

I have the feeling that most goans in Goa have given up, and are just
sleepwalking with their eyes wide open into a situation they will soon
regret. They are just going with the flow, as it is easier than fighting to
save Goa. Perhaps they don't think Goa needs to be saved, as they think
everything is hanky-dory....who knows?!!!

Best wishes
Carmen Miranda
pinheiro
2010-08-29 13:23:46 UTC
My response

It's ironical that Goa which has the highest level of literacy needs civic
education. It's ironical that Goa the smallest state with high literacy
index has equally high corruption index and is now competing with Bihar to
raise its corruption bar.

It is become rather fashion to bash politician for everything but how much
do we know what are our right and obligations. Spare a thought and you will
realize the most Goans are not aware of their civic rights. If one cannot
get his/her work done at panchyat or collector office or mamladar office
they immediately knock MLA's door. Gaons want their MLA to put street light
to the nearest pole to their house or hot mixing of road in their
neighbourhood.

They are content with the fact that is Mr X or Mr Y and he is from X party
and Y party. Who care if the MLA is SSC pass or fail? Goans do all types
of background check on would be brides and grooms, but not on MLA. But,
politician. Exception. Majority of the people do not care to demand from
the MLA what are his commitment to education, health and environment ETC.
Goa have serious issues such as education, health and environment etc but
who cares as it is effects to people at coastal belt or hinderland or vice
versa. Goa politicians are like Hindi film (masala movies) producers, they
deliver only what the electorate demands.

Every year I go to Goa, and every time I have to have an argument with any
Government office I go to have my work done. Many call me insane for saving
few rupees (considering I am NRG from Dubai) by not giving the bribe the
officers/staff on duty demands from me directly or indirectly. 1997, I had
purchased a property near my ancestral house. The sub-registar at Margao
asked me to pay Rs 1000 which I refused. He send sent my file to
collector's office with the remark 'undervalued - stamp duty not paid as per
market value'. I had to fight the case for 6 years and proved it that my
stamp duty was same as that of others who have purchased property next to
mine.

There are instance when Customs officers had played it on me on many
occasion in the last 20 odd annual trips I made to Goa, not once I paid
bribe to get out. I'll share 2 incidents. Once, in Dec 1998 I was carrying
3 whisky bottles (instead of 2). Customs officer asked me to pay Usd 100
for the additional bottle (actual cost was usd 25) or he has to confiscated
one bottle as I am allowed to carry only 2. I pleaded and told him its
Christmas time and excuse it. He won't listen so I drop one bottle on the
floor. Politely said sorry to him and walked out.

In 2001, I was carrying my used T.V with me to Goa, Customs officers
demanded Rs25K. I informed him it is used TV and not worth Rs10K. But, no
he kept on bargaining and came down to Rs10K. I told him keep the T.V Set
and walked off. I sensed its money what he want and not the TV. After few
steps he called me back and I walked out without paying a Rupee. I rather
let people call me a fool then pay bribes to get work done.

The biggest problem Goa is corruption, people pay bribe to get work done.
The giver thinks it okay as he/she is in hurry. The receiver thinks it's
his birth right. Civil society feels its okay. Politicians think its okay.
Nothing will change if Goans do not change their attitude (Maka kiteak
podlam?). Nothing will change if Goans do not change and shun corruption.

Warm regards,

Agnelo Pinheiro
Subject: [Goanet] Corrupt Politicians and A Dishonest Vote-Bank
Manuel (Eddie) Tavares.
colaco1 at gmail.com (J. Colaco )
2010-08-29 17:54:52 UTC
My dear Agnelo,

A few years ago, my wife and I were stalled for several hours at
Customs (Goa Airport) by a chap called Barua. He wanted bakshish from
us BEFORE he evaluated our bags (or placed them through the XRay
....as he put it). We had nothing to declare and, in any event, were
definitely not going to pay any bribes to anyone.

So ..... after harassing a couple of older Goans flying in from the
Middle-East and a Russian lady ....and ignoring us for 2 hours
thereafter, he rudely advised us that he was "having pity on us' and
let us go.

This (with all the other stuff) is the state of our Goa.

Trying to tell Goans in 2010 - about the true facts of life (i.e.
Waking them up) - is like trying to tell a 50 year old person that
what he has been told thus far - may not be the truth.

For so far, Goans have been told by the Press (owned by whom?) and
their Gorrment (strings pulled by whom) that:

a: They have been liberated.

b: Bakshish is a way of life. Get used to it. It is liberating.

c: Mining ad infinitum and uncontrolled hotel building employ Goans so
that they can buy their staple food i.e. fish which (no doubt) has
become 'so affordable' because of the extra demand from the hotels.

d: The longing for a clean environment is anti-progress and nostalgic.
It is throw back to the dark old Portuguese era and hence anti-Goan.
Besides, Goa is the besht. It is even Chak Chak.

e: Just look at Goa, we now have Electricity (never mind the odd power
cuts), we now have water supply (never mind the pollutants in the
water table), we have bridges across rivers (which last for more than
5 years), we now have all kind of fruits and vegetables available
(thorough washing is optional), we have tasty treats on road side
gaddes (hand-washing destroys the taste while health-checks lower the
ability of the food-vendors to provide herd-immunity), we now have
malaria (was it not present in Goa in the early 1900s?), we now have
burglar bars on our doors and windows (can you not imagine the
artistic value of these metal contraptions?), we now have Konkani
which is different from the Konkani our parents spoke (those parents
were/are old fashioned anyway), we now have the situation where
anybody who does or does not have a railway ticket can (and does)
travel to Goa courtesy the George Fernandes-Proto Barbosa Konkan
Railway (can you find another place - besides Mumbai- which has such
magnetism to attract so many people to itself every single day?)

But what about Goans? (you and people like Arwin ask). Have you not
heard the saying that Goans and in fact and numerically 'irrelevant'
to Goa in 2010? (Wonder who said that).

And the 'dreamers' among us are worried about Vote-Banks?

Ah Lord ......

Ask not whether Goa and Goans have been liberated. Ask whether Goa has
already been liberated from Goans.

PS: The ONLY hope for Goans: Study Hard, Work Harder, Spend Less funds
on material and 'liquid' goods in Goa, Invest in a capitalist country
which respects rights and where (usually) one does not need to offer
any bakshish ....and

Stop worrying/dreaming about the poem "Paradise lost" for ....Paradise
is unlikely to be regained.

If one has to visit Goa for any purpose - travel via Bombay/Mumbai
(the Customs have become more sensible), enjoy the Goans food and
whatever is left of the beaches, meet the family one would like to
meet, stay far away from the politicians (the saffron one, the
Kangaroos and their adjuncts) and civil (?) servants and .....after a
'fill' of Goa (or what is left of it) ... return to where one comes
from.

sincerely

jc
do excuse any typos ..scripted at one go

=======

Peter Fernandes
2010-08-30 14:26:09 UTC
I dont know what will happen to Goa in few years.
In one Goan Village, heard there is one non Goan Sarpanch. Slowly there will
be two and it will go on increasing, from sarpanch it will be MLA to
Minister and Goa will be gone to non Goykar, God save Goa.

A elected village member in the Panchayat office cannot recognize you if you
dont give him and other member a treat or bribe what about the other
government officers and then the MLA's and the Ministers? This is how non
Goykars are buying land in Goa, and Panchayat members are having a ball.
Why in our Goan villages Panyachats are having problems? This is a game you
make fortune we take you out and then give chance to other..Panchayat
members you want bribe to sell the village land to Goykar? Recognize them
treat them as your ghaum bhav when they come to Panchayat office. Or non
Goykar will take your position and rule not only your village but Goa too.

For our Chief Minister his goverment is AAM AADMI. What about his party
members each one is involved with corruption and each one have different
identifying TAG.

Now, one must not tell Goans and Goykar to wake up.They have to wakeup
themselves and realise, This is the time they have to think about the
elected MLAS's what good they have done in past years why some of the
Ministers left the parties and joined the governing party for what reason?
What good they have done to Goa and Goans.

Before it gets too late vote for a new Candidate.

Regards
Peter Fernandes
floriano
2010-08-30 15:01:39 UTC
Panel System of Elections only, will ensure the thump of the feet of the
Civic Society at large which has been taken for a jolly good ride by these
so called elected members of Panchayats and Municipalities.

If the Civic Society does not wake up to the threat, all will be lost.
BTW Mapusa Civic Society has gotten itsself up to go for PANEL SYSTEM OF
MAPUSA MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS due end October, 2010.

Cheers to Mapusa Civic Society.
floriano
goasuraj
9890470896