[Goanet] Fw: letter to editor
soter
2008-07-09 08:03:13 UTC
Special status for Goa?

Where is our Goa heading? To a life controlled by drugs, booze, sex, swords, daggers and cops? There is little doubt in the common man's mind that criminals are lurking at every street corner, at construction sites, bars, discotheques and even with politicians. Recently, the guardians of the law have themselves been found stealing from duty free shops at the airport. or taking contracts to eliminate people. Times have definitely changed but let us not blame Bush or the U.S. for the escalation in the incidents of crime and communal clashes in Goa.
Successive governments in Goa since liberation have done nothing but divided Goans on basis of caste and religion. The various policies of the governments have imported trouble makers from other parts of the country into the State and done away with healthy social practices and relationships. The Communidades have ben robbed of their land and the laws have been repeatedly amended to accomodate crime and disease by calling it development. Even Housing Boards were set up to create housing for migrants and push out the goans. Scooundrels have not only been encouraged to buy land but also dig up the earth and export the minerals for huge profits. Every time goans rise to defend their rights they are condemned as anti-national, anti-development, pro-portuguese conspirators and now even branded as naxalites. Goa definitely needs a special law to guarantee permanent protection of its precious natural resources, fragile ecosytems and unique identity.

-Soter D'Souza
Socorro
Paulo Colaco Dias
2008-07-09 09:46:41 UTC
Soter, I couldn't agree with you more.

The truth is that we Goans have been ambushed in our own homeland.
We will soon be outnumbered. This is the reality. Then we will lose our
land, our culture, our language and ultimately our identity.

All I ask is not to give up. We have to continue to rise to defend our
rights.
People cannot be afraid to speak up!!

Paulo.

Every time goans rise to defend their rights they are condemned as
anti-national, anti-development,
pro-portuguese conspirators and now even branded as naxalites.
Goa definitely needs a special law to guarantee permanent protection of its
precious natural
resources, fragile ecosytems and unique identity.
-Soter D'Souza
Socorro
Internal Virus Database is out of date.
Checked by AVG.
15:09
Arwin Mesquita
2008-07-09 13:00:54 UTC
Dear Paulo/Soter,

Full Agree. But there is still hope and all Genuine Goans should get united
and Save Our Goa & Its Identity. For too long we have allowed ourselves to
be intimidated from pursuing a just cause.

Regards,
Arwin

Message: 9
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:46:41 +0100
From: "Paulo Colaco Dias" <PauloCD at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Goanet] Fw: letter to editor
<goanet at lists.goanet.org>

Paulo.
Mario Goveia
2008-07-10 12:55:02 UTC
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:46:41 +0100
From: "Paulo Colaco Dias"
Soter, I couldn't agree with you more.
The truth is that we Goans have been ambushed in our
own homeland. We will soon be outnumbered. This is
the reality. Then we will lose our land, our culture,
our language and ultimately our identity.
All I ask is not to give up. We have to continue to
rise to defend our rights.
Mario observes:
Good one, Paulo.
"We Goans" have been "ambushed"???
"We" will soon be outnumbered???
You are among those of us who created the vacuum in
Goa in the first place. How do you think they were
supposed to manage?
Naturally, the vacuum is being filled because of
powerful economic forces, aided and abetted by local
corruption and mismanagement and the failure to elect
honest politicians, by "new Goans" whose ancestry
hails from other parts of India.
Now you dream of some "identity" you have long
abdicated and want Soter and others who stayed behind
to "defend our rights" while we continue as absentee
Goans to live comfortably overseas and may or may not
ever return to Goa, regardless of our current
intentions.
soter

Socorro
Paulo Colaco Dias