Re HIV / Aids and the 10yr old boy who ate a "contaminated" pineapple from a HIV positive vendor.
JOHN MONTEIRO
2007-11-16 10:40:12 UTC
To all Goanetters who were fooled by the story of a young boy who had caught HIV from a pineapple vendor in Goa.

I was aghast that this story was put on the forum by a hoaxer, who shall remain unnamed by me, but the archives can give you the fuller details.

I contacted Aids Hotline to disprove this story, the reply I received, in full is below, and is self-explantory.

I suspect the person who put this story on this forum was out to cause mischief because there are several illegal and unlicensed vendors in Goan cities & towns who are causing a nuisance & taking business away from bona fide vendors, otherwise this story could have been passed on by someone else to this poster who was unaware of the truth, the current situation (and this has been for the past 25 years), no food that is "contaminated" by an HIV positive person (who may have spilt blood onto food, such as a cut finger spilling blood onto pineapple) can pass on the HIV virus, as it cannot survive outside the body!

Please read carefully and then pass onto friends and family that a HIV positive person cannot pass on the HIV virus (or develop AIDS) to anyone, especially when using the same toilet, the same plates, knives and forks, or cups/glasses. The virus that was possibly on the surface of these places, dies once it leaves the body!

John Monteiro
16.11.07.....10.38hrs (UK)

Contact-Us <contact-us at AIDSHotline.org> wrote: The scenario that you describe appears to be yet another hoax in an endless list of false stories that have circulated about HIV transmission for over 25 years. HIV dies quickly when outside the human body, so if infected blood got into a piece of fruit or any other food, the virus would be dead by the time someone else ate it. Also, it is very difficult, although not impossible, to get infected through the mouth. There has never been a single documented case of anyone, anywhere getting HIV from food under any circumstances.

Here is detailed information about HIV transmission. We hope that you find it useful:

In order for an HIV infection to occur, 3 things must happen:

The virus must be present (one person must have HIV).
Blood or sexual fluids from the infected person must enter into the other body through an opening such as the vagina, the anus, the hole at the tip of the penis, the mouth or a fresh, open cut.
Once inside the body, the virus must penetrate to that person?s bloodstream.

Other things to bear in mind are:
? The virus dies very quickly when outside the human body, so the transmission of fluids must be pretty much direct. The virus will survive longer when inside a hypodermic needle or syringe.
? Saliva, sweat, tears, urine and feces do not transmit the virus.
? Scratches, sores, partially healed wounds or cuts, hangnails, etc. are not large enough to let the virus in.
? The virus is not airborne and does not travel on its own. The fluids containing HIV must be deposited inside the body.
? HIV cannot be transmitted through kissing, hugging, shaking hands, using a bathroom, eating or drinking after someone who?s infected or any other activity that does not produce the 3 requirements listed above.
? Even when performing a high risk activity, HIV transmission is not automatic.
? Transmission through the mouth is possible, but not easy, so oral sex is considered a low risk activity.
? Other sexually transmitted diseases, such as chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, etc., are transmitted more easily than HIV.

For more information about HIV transmission, please go to this page: http://www.sfaf.org/aids101/
JOHN MONTEIRO

JOHN MONTEIRO

JOHN MONTEIRO