Subject: Old-style measurements... paileo, kudov, khandi
augusto pinto
2013-10-26 01:11:50 UTC
I don't think the smaller measurements preceeding paileo, kudov and khandi
have been mentioned. These are the nice sounding an'nati, gin'nati, solgem
and pod. Probably only museums have these measures which used to be a
feature of many houses in the past. I know a family friend from Pilerne,
Mrs Philo D'Souza (of erstwhile Julia Tailors fame) who has these measures.

Augusto
--
Augusto Pinto
40, Novo Portugal
E pintogoa at gmail.com
P 0832-2470336
M 9881126350
Alfred de Tavares
2013-10-26 20:09:46 UTC
Good... you guys are edifying our posterity in these weights & measures of millenia
past. Soon our neonati generations will not know about this paraphernalia, essential
to our goneby existence...&, good God forbid, such daily-requisite materials viz. pencils,
slates, erasers, chalks, blackboards, sharpeners....PAPER may be heading towards oblivion.
Ousch...as our Viviana, in Cal, is bound to say....how very apocalyptic...

Thus a record of pre-kilogram....-littre measures, inalianable necessities of every-minute
life, sketchily recorded. We had:

Gui'natti/gui'natem X 4, equals 1 anna'tti (ten) X 4, equals 1 podd' x 4, equals i paili

4 pailis equal 1 mond(h); 5 paillis equal 1 vod'lo/dedd mond.

All these measures could be asked for 'cortad' ie levelled with a stave or ?sui (suien)
ie heaped/peaked-up.

Then going higher:

20 monds equaled 1 Khandi and 20 khandis equaled 1 kumbh.

These were almost always measured kortad; but could on occasion, depending on
the avarice/cruelty pf the batkar (very rare) could be asked for in sui form.

The proportion to ammount of seed to a field depend on type of field/cultivation:
Thus, morod/terraceed fields on hillsides; khazan/low-lying, sub-river-level filled up
(dyked, Dutch-style fields.

Khazans in turn have two types of planting: pausav/vaingon is the rainy season
crop and sorod is the dry season crop irrigated by respective village toyems/ponds/resevoirs
which were filled up and used as sources of irrigation during dry season.

These, again man'made water storages turn out rich yields of tastiest fish and the daily out and
in flow of thei waters are regulated with admirably efficient sluice-gates.

in our times their cash yields have crossed into crores at annual village comunidade auctions.

There is much detail to be filled up, which I intend to do. I have just outlined the bare sketch

What say Rico, JC. Sholud I turn in ove to Wikipedia, unless they already have it.

What, for ex I have not proportions of seed to various fields/crops. Will do so in December.

I use to help my Pai a good deal during the mirg/cultivation times, before going on to
boarding school (LHS), colleged, etc.

I promise also detailed list of the fluid-measurs: Xer, pau, so on.

& the zot'ta, the plouging, the mownis, winowing.....

I invite all informed friends to please fill in as details of yester-things tickle you minds.

OBS: Victor Hugo's incomparable CHITRA has an enviable collection of all these implements.

A reminiscent Chacha...
E pintogoa at gmail.com
P 0832-2470336
M 9881126350
Joel DS
2013-10-27 07:27:56 UTC
Very interesting, Chacha.
I remember Victor Hugo Gomes (Chitra) mentioning that the "podd" had two
versions - "divpachi podd" (thick bottom) and "ghevpachi podd" (thin/deep
bottom).
Cheers.

M 9881126350
Joel DS