Virgin coconut oil... (Mario Goveia)
Jagdish Gangolly
2009-12-06 15:11:03 UTC
This thread reminded me of a poster behind my life insurance agent's desk.

It went some thing like this:

Once there lived a man who led a clean life. He did not drink, smoke, or
womanize. He did see movies, listen to music, or dance. He did not fight,
and he did not love.

And then one day he suddenly died. When his heirs made a claim on his life
insurance, it was denied. The insurance company said they could not make a
claim since the man had never lived.

The moral of the poster is that every thing in moderation is good.

My family from mother's side settled in Bombay early 1900s. Most of them
died before 65 or so even though they did not eat much coconuts. Mostly from
heart attacks, cancers.

My father's side, most were in the Mangalore area which they never left. For
them, eating coconuts five times a day was religion. But most lived to be
close to 100, and some lived beyond for a few years.

My mother came to Mangalore area some time after marrying. She is close to
90 and still active (no compromises on coconuts). But with each passing day
she finds herself lonely, with even her nephews and nieces passing on.

I keep telling my wife coconuts are not bad, but with no effect.

Says something about life.

Jagdish
Mario Goveia
2009-12-06 21:40:58 UTC
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 10:11:03 -0500
From: Jagdish Gangolly <gangolly at gmail.com>

I keep telling my wife coconuts are not bad, but with no effect.

Mario responds:

I will leave it to Jose or Santosh to explain why you have an intelligent wife, and you don't even seem to realize it:-))

Also, make sure a coconut doesn't fall on your head, which will surely be a lesson on whether they are "bad" or "not bad":-))
Santosh Helekar
2009-12-06 16:33:04 UTC
The post appended below provides us with an important lesson. The moral of the story told in it is, please do not rely on anecdotes. What they tell you cannot be generalized. The reason for this is very simple. Most things in life and about life are very complicated, including the genes that prolong it.

Cheers,

Santosh

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
This work is supported by the Pandurang Project.

The Pandurang Project is a charitable activity of the post-presidency of President Pandurang of Chimbel. It is an adult science literacy drive to provide free remedial education to a cyber-audience whose members have been ill-served by their browser, inbox and spam filter.
Jagdish
floriano
2009-12-07 03:23:53 UTC
Most sensible utterances I have ever heard on this thread.
Jagdish, I thank you.

floriano
goasuraj
9890470896