Why Do Goans Not Pay A Fair Price?
Roland Francis
2010-12-28 20:34:23 UTC
Talking of Indians spitting on walls and in public places, Goans have a
problem too.

Just the other day Goanet moderator Bosco and I were briefly discussing
about him getting Valmiki's book for distribution to a few interested people
in Toronto. We were in accord with Goans not patronizing Goan authors of
even well written books when that meant reaching into your pockets for a few
dollars.

Just a few days later, I experienced the following:

A certain Goan had heard good reviews of Selma's book and in conversation
with me was distinctly but indirectly fishing for my copy to be lent to him.
When he saw that I was not forthcoming with it, he quietly stopped the
hints. At a Christmas party, I happened to meet this individual and he was
raving about the book and liberally quoting from it. He then said "They want
to sell the book here for $20, but when I went to Goa I bought it for Rs
275.

He did not mention about the inconvenience of carrying it in his baggage
when he could have very well carried a pound of sausages in its place.

Now I know this individual well. He is a person of means and otherwise not
tight-fisted at all, but in the realm of buying a Goan author's book, he
thought the world of saving some coin. Phew, what an attitude. If this were
a rarity, I would have not have cared. But it is all too common in the Goan
community and that I think is only a step above the Indian trait of spitting
in public.

Little consolation this.

Roland.

Toronto.

416-453-3371

.
Frederick Noronha
2010-12-28 23:35:21 UTC
Post by Roland Francis
A certain Goan had heard good reviews of Selma's book and in conversation
with me was distinctly but indirectly fishing for my copy to be lent to him.
When he saw that I was not forthcoming with it, he quietly stopped the
hints.
Hi Roland, I have a slightly different perspective on this... just as I
believe pilloring those who spit on walls is (i) barking up the wrong tree
(ii) not the most important issue (iii) got more to do with how we define
The Problem, rather than what the problem itself is.

As far as books go: I don't think there's a problem if people don't buy
books. We have to put our thinking caps on and indulge in some lateral
thinking, which enables us to make books more unignorable than they
currently are. We have to pass the book around, lend them, share them or
whatever *and* at the same time somehow work to make books viable.

We need to build a reward structure for writers, so that they get the
respect due, knowing fully well that ours is a small market and authors are
poorly paid.

It doesn't worry me if people prefer to borrow/share books instead of buying
'em. It does worry me quite a bit if writer's don't review books. Or if
potential readers ignore them. I think the onus is on us to make sure the
interests of author, reader, publisher (and the environment) are balanced
off for optimum result.
Mervyn Lobo
2010-12-29 02:06:02 UTC
Roland Francis wrote:
Just a few days later, I experienced the following:

A certain Goan had heard good reviews of Selma's book and in conversation
with me was distinctly but indirectly fishing for my copy to be lent to him.
When he saw that I was not forthcoming with it, he quietly stopped the
hints. At a Christmas party, I happened to meet this individual and he was
raving about the book and liberally quoting from it. He then said "They want
to sell the book here for $20, but when I went to Goa I bought it for Rs
275.

He did not mention about the inconvenience of carrying it in his baggage
when he could have very well carried a pound of sausages in its place.

Roland,
You never fail to amaze me!
F.Y.I.
1) Your er, friend did not bring back a pound of sausages from Goa
because it is illegal to do so. Everyone in Canada knows this.

2) Your er, friend did buy the book. He paid the best price he could
get it at. I do this all the time, paying a person in India Rs. 275 an hour
to do my work instead of paying someone in Toronto $20 an hour for the
exact same work.

3) Every time I go to Goa, I cart back books for those who want them in
Toronto. It does not cost me anything to do so.

Mervyn1405Lobo
Roland Francis

Roland Francis

Roland Francis

Roland Francis

Roland Francis

Roland Francis

Mervyn Lobo
2010-12-30 02:16:44 UTC
My original notes to Roland:
You never fail to amaze me!
F.Y.I.
1) Your er, friend did not bring back a pound of sausages from Goa
because it is illegal to do so. Everyone in Canada knows this.

2) Your er, friend did buy the book. He paid the best price he could
get it at. I do this all the time, paying a person in India Rs. 275 an hour
to do my work instead of paying someone in Toronto $20 an hour for the
exact same work.

3) Every time I go to Goa, I cart back books for those who want them in
Toronto. It does not cost me anything to do so.

To which Roland Francis replied:
I rest my case.

Heeheehee, Roland,
FN recently publicly pointed out that you have a problem with sentence
construction. I think you also have a comprehension problem.

Let me try and make point 3 (above) clear enough so that even you can
understand. The books I cart to Toronto, are for Goan authors.

Happy festivus.

Mervyn1414Lobo
Frederick Noronha
2010-12-30 09:03:42 UTC
Hi Mervyn, When did I say this? In what context? Or is it just
short-term memory loss and/or an early touch of Alzheimers? FN

Frederick Noronha :: +91-9822122436 :: +91-832-2409490
construction.
Mervyn Lobo
2011-01-01 02:17:33 UTC
Post by Frederick Noronha
Hi Mervyn, When did I say this? In what context? Or is it just
short-term memory loss and/or an early touch of Alzheimers?
FN,
It could be a touch of all of the above and then some?more.

Anyways, I am at a place where I have little or no access to
the net. When I do, I will look for the material I am referring to.

Mervyn1421Lobo
Frederick Noronha
2011-01-01 06:15:22 UTC
Good one Mervyn! After the threats of being dismissed as a quack for not
having allopathic qualifications, I thought Goanetters would have fought shy
of giving summary, online diagnosis :-)

Anyway, what is even more scary is the kind of misquotes that go around in
cyberspace, Goanet included. Suddenly somone quotes you as having said
something (which sounds almost convincing), and you begin to wonder: when
exactly did I say this AND in what context? FN

Mervyn1421Lobo
Frederick Noronha

Mervyn1421Lobo
Frederick Noronha