[Goanet] Ancient caves/Tunnels (Bunyar) and same story of a Priest and a dog
JoeGoaUk
2007-02-28 23:35:22 UTC
Ancient caves/Tunnels (Bunyar) and same story of a Priest and a dog

Well, I first heard it when I was very young at the Cansaulim-Cuelim (Three Kings Chapel
hillock). There is a cave or a tunnel (now closed/sealed) at the backside of the chapel. I
was said that the tunnel linked to Aguada and that once a priest and a dog went to explore it
(Tunnel) but the dog came back and the priest never made it...

After some years, I heard it again at Rachol. I think there are about 3 'bunyars' tunnels and
the same story about the priest and the dog. However, there is one short tunnel there about
3-4kms long linked to Raitura church. And I have seen it about 20 years ago (I went down but
not passed thru). It was a narrow 'curve' shape passage less than 2 mtrs high and about 1mt
wide

Then again, at Siridao, Jesus of Nazareth chapel (locally knows as 'Jez-nodrem' or 'pejechem
fest' where pez or canjie is served free to all (courtesy: Dempo's tradition). the feast there
in always first Sunday after Easter. Below the chapel, they say, there is a tunnel (now
doomed) with the same priest and the dog story.

Are there any other tunnels like this anywhere in Goa ?
(not necessarily related to church or priest or a dog)
Or, perhaps, any such underground secret escape routes etc
If so, I would like to hear from you.

Would also appreciate if any one can comments on any of the above mentioned
caves/tunnels/Bunyars.

Thanks.

btw, does anybody remember the 1977 konkani film 'Buerantlo Munis' ? The cave man (C Alvares)
had a gold ring with letters B.M. inscribed on it and we thought BM stands for 'Buenrantlo
Munis' but it was actually, Bernald Mascarenhas.
Bollywood playback singer Asha Bhosle sang the tilte song in Konkani.

Joegoauk at yahoo.co.uk

for Goa & NRI related info...

Konkani Songs, Goan Photos, Tiatr/Film VCDs, Bank interest rates etc etc
(for updates etc click below)

All New Yahoo! Mail ? Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
JoeGoaUk

Joegoauk at yahoo.co.uk