IGO:A Peep at the Preview.
Miguel Braganza
2003-10-22 16:51:41 UTC
Dear Goanetters,

A four-page,tabloid-size apology for a newspaper has hit the stands. It is
named [ in a rather insignificant Masthead] as the "Independent Goa
Observer*" [Asterisk not mine;Conditions apply! ]. The footer on page four
reads simply thus,"* Title pending final approval. Edited,Printed &
Published by Rajan Narayan." No address,phone number,etc of the Publisher
or the Printing Press. The ex-Editor of the Herald is apparently above [or
way below] the law of the land. Even handbills require to identify the
printer...specially when the contents are likely to be controversial.

The good news is that Rajan has become a "Printer",too.

Many Goans received their copy of the IGO Preview[shape of the things to
come?] dated 19 October,2003,as an insert in their oHERALDo earlier this
week. For others it was available at their provision store competing with
the issues of free shetters like 12-page tabloid "Panaji :Talk of Town" and
the 12-page [ with 4 colour pages] "Panjim Plus" in Panaji. In Ponda,Margao
and Mapusa, the IGO is a few days earlier than the Diwali issues of the
respective PLUS 'free sheeter' tabloids, all in colour. One would think
Rajan knew more about timing, positioning and pricing of a newspaper. After
finding it as an 'insert' ,one wonders how long Rajan hopes to ride 'piggy
back' on the oHERALDo.

How many copies of a tabloid IGO does he hope to sell at Rs.10/- a copy,
starting from mid-November? At that price he would be in competition with
the likes of newsmagazines like "The Week","Goa Today" and "India
Today".This is twice the price of the tabloid "Goa Messenger" which Sigmund
is struggling to boost. Is he getting conceited or are his thoughts going on
a stampede? I am no authority on such issues and would shudder to hazard a
guess. A possible indication is his offer of ' free copy of IGO for one
year' to "every individual who contributes Rs.1000/- or more". Subscription
recruitment by the back door?

There is a lot of [intentional?] confusion between
individuals,contributors,stakeholders and shareholders.All and any of these
words are used liberally to describe the "bhakra" who will not even appear
on MTV. If after Teaquity,Anubhav,Maxworth,Mehna,Rockland,Manipal
Finance,Chit funds and Cheat funds, the Goan investor is still a gullible
fool, a compulsive gambler,an ever hopefull....so be it.S/he deserves to be
cheated. As one James Hardly Chase novel I read in my school days put it,
"There is always a sucker". Rajan is banking on the
simple,educated,emotional Goan 'Cristao'.....the perpetual sucker! If this
sucker does not give ,Rajan's IGO will be as bankrupt as he is of ideas![
Currently he is quietly recycling Valmiki's critique as his own
proposals/propositions!]

Those who have not received a copy of the IGO,please do not fret. It is just
a 'hard copy' of the web page of the same date...less illustrated and
without any colour! Just log on to www.rajannarayan.com ...see IGO in
colour.

Viva Goa.

Miguel
P.S.
" The PRESENT is a consequence of the PAST; not an anticipation of the
FUTURE."
said Paul Tillich,German Philosopher.

---
Cecil Pinto
2003-10-23 09:05:28 UTC
At 02:16 PM 22-10-03 -0400,
Miguel Braganza wrote...

MB
Post by Miguel Braganza
A four-page,tabloid-size apology for a newspaper has hit the stands. It is
named [ in a rather insignificant Masthead] as the "Independent Goa
Observer*" [Asterisk not mine;Conditions apply! ]. The footer on page four
reads simply thus,"* Title pending final approval. Edited,Printed &
Published by Rajan Narayan." No address,phone number,etc of the Publisher
or the Printing Press. The ex-Editor of the Herald is apparently above [or
way below] the law of the land. Even handbills require to identify the
printer...specially when the contents are likely to be controversial.
CP
I received the same apology for a rag with my Sunday papers on the 19th at
Miramar. A Preview or Demo or Trailer normally shows off the best of what
is to come. If this Preview is any indication...then the Independent Goan
Observer is a total flop before even launching.
--------

MB
Post by Miguel Braganza
The good news is that Rajan has become a "Printer",too.
One would think
Rajan knew more about timing, positioning and pricing of a newspaper. After
finding it as an 'insert' ,one wonders how long Rajan hopes to ride 'piggy
back' on the oHERALDo.
CP
Rajan has been riding piggy back on Herald for the last twenty years. The
way he struts it, one would assume that the Herald daily newspaper was
entirely his creation. It is because of the free hand and support given by
AC Fernandes, and a talented technical and editorial staff, that Herald has
gone places. Rajan Naryan had a lot to do with it no doubt, but he got to
believing that he was the whole and sole 'soul' of Herald.

Now that he's planning his own venture it shows, that other than writing
Stray Thoughts and courting controversy, he knows precious little about
Publishing.

---------

MB
Post by Miguel Braganza
How many copies of a tabloid IGO does he hope to sell at Rs.10/- a copy,
starting from mid-November? At that price he would be in competition with
the likes of newsmagazines like "The Week","Goa Today" and "India
Today".
Is he getting conceited or are his thoughts going on
a stampede? I am no authority on such issues and would shudder to hazard a
guess. A possible indication is his offer of ' free copy of IGO for one
year' to "every individual who contributes Rs.1000/- or more". Subscription
recruitment by the back door?

CP
I had seriously considered contributing Rs. 1000/- towards this IGO. My
main consideration was not so much Rajan Naryan's hyperbole but rather the
fact that Floriano Lobo seemed to be supporting the publication. In my
interaction with Floriano I have found him to be above board and although
he may sometimes bark up the wrong tree, Floriano's intentions are always
sincere and selfless.

But seeing this apology of a Preview that has been circulated I have
changed my mind.

Of just four pages an entire page has been taken up by Tara Narayan's Food
Column. For heaven's sake! Goans are looking forward to a revolutionary new
newspaper that will be the sole publication in the state with some
semblance of an opposition viewpoint. Instead we have to read a food column
by Rajan's wife? I wonder when Tara Narayan will start giving her
unsolicited 'personal lifestyle advice in public' writings under the guise
of her cookery column. In the Herald she gave gratuitous unsolicited advice
to Vijay Mallya and others and finally to CM Parrikar which resulted in the
whole Rajan-leaving-Herald mess.

Tara Narayan complains that after the Editor in Chief (not Rajan Narayan!)
dumped her column, no other newspaper was willing to publish it. No wonder
they weren't. Nothing to do with any instructions by Parrikar. This has to
do with good taste. Which editor would want to publish a column that gives
unsolicited advices to public figures on what they should eat and drink and
how they should lead their personal lives?

Rajan should maybe rename his new newspaper "The Narayan Ramayana" if it's
going to be just a long winded family affair.

Are there any credible and respectable journalists who are going to be also
writing in this Independent Goan Observer? No names seem to be mentioned.

---------

MB
Post by Miguel Braganza
There is a lot of [intentional?] confusion between
individuals,contributors,stakeholders and shareholders.All and any of these
words are used liberally to describe the "bhakra" who will not even appear
on MTV. If after Teaquity,Anubhav,Maxworth,Mehna,Rockland,Manipal
Finance,Chit funds and Cheat funds, the Goan investor is still a gullible
fool, a compulsive gambler,an ever hopefull....so be it.S/he deserves to be
cheated. As one James Hardly Chase novel I read in my school days put it,
"There is always a sucker". Rajan is banking on the
simple,educated,emotional Goan 'Cristao'.....the perpetual sucker!
Well put Miguel!

Enough Goans have lost their hard earned money to scamsters over the years.
From Finance and Plantation companies that offer incredibly high interest
rates, to fly by night 'builders', to Magic Magnetic Mattresses that
promise to make you healthy and wealthy... we Goans have been taken for a
ride everytime. It's time someone speaks up and cautions the gullible.

---------
Post by Miguel Braganza
Viva Goa.
Miguel
Jai Hind! Viva Goa! Fuloi Aldona!

Cecil

=======
melvyn misquita
2003-10-23 15:41:21 UTC
Hi there,

Interesting....not-so stray thoughts. By the way, please note my new email address:

mail at misquita.org

Regards,
Melvyn Misquita

Cecil Pinto <cpinto at sancharnet.in> wrote: