[Goanet] Taleigao Chess Academys reply to Sameer Salgaocar President Goa State Chess Association(GCSA).NT June 30
Sanjay Barve
2008-06-30 14:21:37 UTC

The Editor,
The Navhindtimes,

Panaji-Goa

June 30, 2008

Sir,

*This is in response to letter published in your daily on Monday 30th June
2008 page 17 of Sameer Salgaocar President Goa State Chess
Association(GCSA). We would be obliged if you publish it in right spirit.*

**

*http://www.navhindtimes.com/articles.php?Story_ID=063067*

*
*

Cronology of events:

1. Taleigao Chess Academy Sports Club (TCA) is registered under Societies
Act 1860 Reg. No 553/GOA/2007 with 23 members.
2. TCA had submitted a Bank of India Cheque No. 072876 dt. April 1 2008
for Rs.300/- along with forwarding letter dt.05/04/08 being affiliation fee.

3. We have received receipt of the same No.2631 dt. 12/05/08 which
clearly says that Club affiliation fee for 2008-09.
4. As per past record GSCA does not issue any separate communication for
affiliation.
5. Our Ex. Secretary Shrikant Barve tendered his resignation on May 20
2008 attached along with a copy of Show Cause Notice received by him from
All India Chess Association dt. 16/05/08 which states that he has been
suspended with effect from 27/03/08 pending inquiry.
6. All India Chess Federation or Goa State Chess Association has not
informed TCA about suspension of TCA Secretary from 27/03/08 nor had asked
TCA for status of Shrikant Barve in TCA.
7. From March 27 2008 to June 15 2008 GSCA Executive Body meeting was
held on April 6 at Bambolim, May 27 at Zambaulim, June 1 at Panaji and June
15 at Margao.
8. On June 6th 2008 TCA wrote to GSCA a letter (copy attached) informing
about future programs but important topic was * Sabotaging of T.C.A.'s T.
Purushottam Special Chess Coaching Camp for Goan Players. *

We have an unfortunate experience to narrate to you which we would request
you to note and to take action. As you are aware, in the interest of Goan
chess, we have been conducting special chess coaching programs by inviting
good chess players / coaches from outside Goa to impart training to our
talented young Goan chess players Shri O. T. Anilkumar (Kerala State
Champion ) and Shri B.S.Shivanand (Karnataka State Champion and National A
player) are among those who have come to Taleigao Chess Academy several
times over the past one year and help Goan children to upgrade their chess
skills. Some of Goa's best young players have benefited from their guidance
as can be evidenced from their results.

In the same spirit we had invited T. Purushothaman (ELO Rating 2290) Andhra
Pradesh State Champion in 2006 to conduct a Special Coaching camp from May
28 to June 3, 2008.. He had confirmed his agreement to come to Goa to
conduct this camp.

But to our surprise we received a phone call just a week before the
scheduled camp pleading his inability to come. The following is the email he
sent us subsequently:

*Dear Mr. Barve,*

*After thinking about the issue and consulting with my parents, I have
decided that it is better that I cancel my trip, especially after receiving
calls from delegates of the AICF. I am sorry if this decision of mine causes
inconvenience to you.*

*Yours Sincerely,*

*Purushothaman.*

The statement by Shri Purushothaman that he was canceling his trip, "after
receiving calls from delegates of the AICF", saddened us. Instead of
offering us their support, the AICF wants to sabotage the activities of
T.C.A.. As you are aware, some of the best young Indian chess players
including double world U-8 Gold medalist Ivana Furtado

were groomed at T.C.A.

As a member of the Goa State Chess Association, we request you to take up
the matter at every forum available to stop this disgraceful attempt of the
AICF to stall the progress of Goan chess. Kindly place this matter on the
agenda of the forthcoming Executive body as well as General Body of G.S.C.A.
We would specially like the President of G.S.C.A Mr. Sameer Salgaonkar who
is also Vice-President of A.I.C.F. to use his influence to counter the
sinister designs of the A.I.C.F.

This matter is of the utmost importance as in order to give good chess
guidance to Goan chess players before National B which is to be held in Goa
from September 15 2008 T.C.A. wishes to invite and conduct many more special
chess coaching programs. This must not be further sabotaged by the A.I.C.F.

1. TCA has received two separate Registered Letters from GSCA both dt.
20/06/08 along with our cheque and letter. These letter states that
"Returning herewith the cheque for Rs.300/- at it is decided in the EBM of
GSCA held at Margao on June 15 that the registration of Taleigao Chess
Academy will not be renewed until Shri shrikant Barve, their Secretary
cleared of all charges by All India Chess Federation who has been suspended
from all chess activities pending enquiry."
2. Copy of the Press release of TCA On 24th June 2008 is attached. Topic
of TCA's Press conference was "*The Right Move II Career in
Sports-National G* Taleigao chess Academy is planning to organize series
to seminars on "Career in Sports-National Games Goa" with the main theme is
employment opportunities in sport in next few years. These seminars will be
held in association with International Center Goa and other organisations.
For which we would like to appeal authorities from various fields, please to
guide us in their sports field and take part in concern seminars and
also we would like to appeal well wishers, supporters, clubs, association,
companies, schools, colleges, professionals and others to support this noble
cause. First discussion on The Right Move II, "Career in Sports-National
Games Goa" is on Thurday, July 10th 2008 Morning 9.30 to 12.30 at
International Centre, Goa, Dona Paula. *TCA has not criticized GSCA nor
stated that GSCA is illegal. *
3. As per constitution of TCA, President and Secretary of GSCA are
ex-officio members of TCA. TCA has sent invitation for Special General Body
meeting of Sunday 29/06/08 as has done for earlier General Body Meetings.

As every one knows the importance of Shrikant Barve in Chess for Goa and
children in particular and it is more than three months from effective date
of suspension that is March 27. President of G.S.C.A. Mr. Sameer Salgaonkar
who is also Vice-President of A.I.C.F.. Now we can expect positive frame of
mind from him and we feel that he will use his influence to expedite the
proceeding against Shrikant Barve.

Sanjay Barve

Secretary

*Goa Chess Associations version on TCA outburst*

I would be obliged if you would publish the Goa State Chess Association
version of the story as well.

Chronology of events: 1 Mr Shrikant Barve is suspended by the All India
Chess Federation pending enquiry. The same is communicated to him on May 16,
2008.

2. On June 15, GSCA decides not to renew the affiliation of Taleigao Chess
Academy as we were under the impression that at that moment Mr Barve is the
secretary there. The same is communicated to them and their affiliation fee
is returned by our general secretary, Mr Suhas Asnodkar.

3. TCA organises a press conference in which it declares GSCA ???illegal???
on June 24. Same is covered in your paper the next day.

4. Just two days later, TCA organising secretary Mr Sanjay Barve writes to
us (Mr Suhas and myself) to attend his academy meeting and to reaffiliate
TCA to which we reply that please clarify your stand on GSCA first.

5. Letter to the editor is published attacking GSCA once again on Saturday
June 27 in the section ???Fankick???.

May I point out that we were not informed about Mr Shrikant Barve???s
resignation from the post of secretary till after the press conference. We
learned about this development only when we received the invitation to
attend their meeting. How then do we grant them the renewed affiliation at
our executive body?

Also, we have never stopped any tournaments conducted by the TCA or any of
their students from participating in our tournaments as stated in your
???Letter to the Editor??? by Sanjay Sawaikar. In fact, in my email to TCA
dated June 26, I have specifically informed them that their students will be
allowed to play in the upcoming Vasco tournament.

Please set the record straight by publishing this letter and in future print
our version of the story by contacting our secretary Mr Suhas Asnodkar.

- SAMEER A SALGAOCAR, GSCA PRESIDENT
Sanjay Barve

Sanjay Barve

Sanjay Barve