Lyrics of Konkani song "Bandra Festak" by H. Britton
domnic fernandes
2007-08-15 14:53:27 UTC
One of the netters requested me privately to send him the lyrics of the song
?Bandra Festak?, which I did. I thought I would share those lyrics on this
forum for the benefit of all.

H. Britton is one of the Konkani stage humorists who have entertained Goans
with a variety of songs for over four decades and won accolades for his
singing and acting, especially in imitating women?s fashion on the stage.

The following lyrics are connected to ?Bandra fest? (Bandra feast). Who can
forget ?Mont Saibinnimchem fest? (Mount Mary?s feast), which is celebrated
with great pomp in Bandra, Mumbai, on September 8 every year?

In these lyrics, H. Britton recounts his experience in Bandra feast fair
where he participates in various games. He finally arrives at a ?ring
throwing? stall where he comes across a beautiful girl who gives out rings
for the game. He is mesmerized by the girl?s hair style ? ?porvota porim
unch xenddo? (raised lock of hair like a mountain); he keeps staring at it.
When his turn comes to throw the ring, since his mind was still fixed on
girl?s hair style, instead of throwing the ring around the object, he throws
it around the girl?s ?xenddo?. Everyone around congratulates him on the
feat. Thus, he ends up winning the heart of Bandra girl for just ?chear
annem? (four annas!)

Here are the lyrics of one of the oldest songs ?BANDRA FESTAK? by H.
Britton, which are taken from his audio cassette titled ?NO PROBLEM?:

Bandra festak gelom hanv tea nimnnea Aitara
Ferien bonvtam-bonvtam horam zait ailim bara
Chonnekaram mhunnot ?Bab gorom chonnem vora?
Chonnem khavnk urlom thuimsor pavlonam ghara

Chorus
Ha! Ha! Vah, vah, vah ? lok ferien bonvta
Chevrisam sorpotel, sogllem thuimsor mevta
Merry-Go-Round-ar, chedde-cheddvam gunvta
Luttin kitem poitai, konnui konnak tenkta

Ha! Ha! Vah, vah, vah ? lok ferien bonvta
Chevrisam sorpotel, sogllem thuimsor mevta
Merry-Go-Round-ar, chedde-cheddvam gunvta
Luttin kitem poitai, konnui konnak tenkta

II
Giant Wheel-ar bostolom mhunnon ticket kaddli
Moje kuxik tannen eke anttik dhaddli
Voir pavonam fuddem antti fugar zavn roddli
?Oh my God? mhunnon tinnen veng mhaka marli

Chorus
Ha, ha! ?My God, my God?, antti suskar soddi
Uncle sokol, khonti-uske kaddi
Beautiful lady, asli itki saddi
Uddki marit mhunn, hanven ghott dhorli saddi

Ha, ha! ?My God, my God?, antti suskar soddi
Uncle sokol, khonti-uske kaddi
Beautiful lady, asli itki saddi
Uddki marit mhunn, hanven ghott dhorli saddi

III
Matxe mukar, ring uddonvchem stall dislem
Tea stall-an tim ring-am divnk, sobit cheddum aslem
Kensanchem mountain kelelem mojem sintid thoim urlem
Ring uddoilelem tachea mountain-ar poddlem

Chorus
Yeah, yeah! ?Lucky fellow? mhunn bobav lokacho
Har ghalun fulancho, fottu kaddlo amcho
Ugddass vechonam Montichea festacho
Chear anneank hanv mog jiklom Bandrachea cheddvacho

Chorus
Yeah, yeah! ?Lucky fellow? mhunn bobav lokacho
Har ghalun fulancho, fottu kaddlo amcho
Ugddass vechonam Montichea festacho
Chear anneank hanv mog jiklom Bandrachea cheddvacho

Dialog:

H. Briton: Hello! Wish you happy feast!
Girl: Wish you the same ? happy feast, happy feast!
H. Briton: How about a light kiss?
Girl: What? A tight kiss?
H. Briton: No, no, no ? not tight kiss; a light kiss
Girl: Oh-h-h-h! You are most welcome! Happy feast; happy feast!

(From Dom?s antique shelf)!

Moi-mogan,

Domnic Fernandes
Anjuna/Dhahran, KSA

Live the life in style with MSN Lifestyle. Check out!
http://content.msn.co.in/Lifestyle/Default
domnic fernandes

domnic fernandes

domnic fernandes