_VM / FN
Rui Collaco
2004-09-15 05:24:26 UTC
It is somewhat disappointing to see FN rushing to rescue his friend VM, the
ghost. Given his moderate views on a number of issues, one expected him to
either distance himself from this debate or enter it with his own
contribution. But he chose to adhere to VM's outrages "en bloc". Not that I
had any doubt about where FN's sympathies were. Seems that the "old boy
network" functions perfectly, and explains a lot about what goes on in this
forum. FN is full of praise for his friend, but did not find it necessary to
say a word about the provocative nature of his mails, the offensive language
and the extremist views. Or am I wrong to presume that the "request" is
aimed directly at me? Its certainly not directed at his friend! On my part I
am going to comply with your "request", not because I am intimidated by it
but because the boy is just a savage. No civilized exchanges are possible
with such people. We are on different wavelenghts. Let FN entertain him.

Rui Colla?o
From: "Frederick Noronha (FN)" <fred at bytesforall.org>
To: goanet at goanet.org
Subject: [Goanet]_VM_
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 02:35:27 +0530 (IST)
Someone asked me, in a personal mail: "Is VM a real person? Who is he?"
AFAIK, _VM_ joined Goanet long before I did, and has been around -- though
in a silent mode in recent years -- after an active spell in the early
days.
FTWCIL (for those who came in late), he's Vivek Menezes. How does one put
it? In Goa, they would say, the son of Lenny Menezes (of Taj fame) and
grandson of Prof Armand Menezes. Vivek is also a professional in his own
right, and has been working at a number of prominent slots, though still in
his 'thirties.
Vivek argues well. Without pulling any punches. And that's a problem
(sometimes). If one recalls right, the last time launched a
Portugal-versus-India thread, years back, some of those who took him on
haven't quite forgiven us (meaning, Goanet admin!) for "hounding" them off
the mailing list.
With this introduction, here's a small request: growing readers and posters
means Goanet is having to cope with more mail. Goanet believes in
free-speech, but would also like to maintain a high signal-to-noise ratio.
You need not respond to every post you feel provoked by. When making a
point in a debate, no need to answer every point made by someone holding
another viewpoint. Above all, there's no point in trying to get in the last
word! Others tend to be as determined!!!
Just make your point and leave it at that.
Treat this only as a request if you think it makes sense. FN
Frederick Noronha (FN) Near Convent, SALIGAO 403511 GOA India
Freelance Journalist Tel: +91-832-2409490 MOBILE: 9822122436
http://fn.swiki.net (FN's swiki)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/goalinks (GoaLinks Blog)
Rui Collaco

Rui Collaco