[Goanet] HIV & AIDS... persistant rumours, lies & deception.
JOHN MONTEIRO
2007-11-16 15:23:27 UTC
I received this email today, and I re-send it to Goanet as I feel this subject has been mistreated by a poster & some Gonetters are being misled on the subject.

Please take some time to read the reply I received from a reputable source.

Thank you.

John Monteiro
16.11.07....................15.22hrs (UK)

REPLY FROM AN HIV / AIDS ORGANISATION IN THE USA.

The scenario that you describe appears to be yet another hoax in an endless list of false stories that have circulated about HIV transmission for over 25 years.

HIV dies quickly when outside the human body, so if infected blood got into a piece of fruit or any other food, the virus would be dead by the time someone else ate it.

Also, it is very difficult, although not impossible, to get infected through the mouth. There has never been a single documented case of anyone, anywhere getting HIV from food under any circumstances.

Here is detailed information about HIV transmission. We hope that you find it useful:

In order for an HIV infection to occur, 3 things must happen:

1. The virus must be present (one person must have HIV).

2. Blood or sexual fluids from the infected person must enter into the other body through an opening such as the vagina, the anus, the hole at the tip of the penis, the mouth or a fresh, open cut.

3. Once inside the body, the virus must penetrate to that person?s bloodstream.

Other things to bear in mind are:
? The virus dies very quickly when outside the human body, so the transmission of fluids must be pretty much direct. The virus will survive longer when inside a hypodermic needle or syringe.
? Saliva, sweat, tears, urine and feces do not transmit the virus.
? Scratches, sores, partially healed wounds or cuts, hangnails, etc. are not large enough to let the virus in.
? The virus is not airborne and does not travel on its own. The fluids containing HIV must be deposited inside the body.
? HIV cannot be transmitted through kissing, hugging, shaking hands, using a bathroom, eating or drinking after someone who?s infected or any other activity that does not produce the 3 requirements listed above.
? Even when performing a high risk activity, HIV transmission is not automatic.
? Transmission through the mouth is possible, but not easy, so oral sex is considered a low risk activity.
? Other sexually transmitted diseases, such as chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, etc., are transmitted more easily than HIV.

For more information about HIV transmission, please go to this page: http://www.sfaf.org/aids101/
Gabe Menezes
2007-11-17 17:51:24 UTC
Post by JOHN MONTEIRO
I received this email today, and I re-send it to Goanet as I feel this subject has been mistreated by a poster & some Gonetters are being misled on the subject.
Please take some time to read the reply I received from a reputable source.
Thank you.
John Monteiro
16.11.07....................15.22hrs (UK)
REPLY FROM AN HIV / AIDS ORGANISATION IN THE USA.
RESPONSE: With due respect, we have covered the HIV/AIDS topic
numerous times, previously on Goanet. We even had one poster from USA,
with an urban legend of people getting accidentally infected with
irresponsibly discarded syringe needles.

So if you do not get any other response, other than mine, you will
realise why ! Also from time to time, when topics unrelated to Goa are
flogged on this forum, the moderator steps in and requests an end to
it....which is fair!

Long distance truck drivers are purported to be the ones who spread
this diseases in India.
--
DEV BOREM KORUM.

Gabe Menezes.
London, England
JOHN MONTEIRO
2007-11-18 14:02:43 UTC
Thank you Gabe for the input, I was previously reiterating my post because someone had posted "as a fact" a 10yr old boy had contracted AIDS by eating an infected PINEAPPLE (told his parents/doctor he had eaten pineapple from a vendor) and this was the way he got AIDS, in 15 days.

When are facts no longer a fact but a dodgy & devious way someone has falsely accused someone of doing something that is not at all true, we do not know this to be a fact at all because this poster has not responded to his allegation. We do not know if the vendor exists, the boy exists or even if this story is true!

What is actually going on is that this is nothing at all to do with HIV or AIDS etc, this is a case of unlicensed & unsupervised vendors on the streets, roads, by-ways and highways of Goa. They are causing enormous problems, both socially & by their very nature, being unlicensed or unsupervised, they are selling their wares, illegally.

Someone is fed up with this (probably the majority of posters on this site too), that other forms of contamination may be present, such as foul water, dirty & contaminated containers, utensils etc etc which are giving people food poisoning.

To use HIV / AIDS as a means to an end is deplorable, and this is why I reiterated my post & have replied to you so that this is out in the open where everyone can trace this story in Goanet Archives.

I was also not aware the subject of HIV etc had already been done to death on this forum, as a "new boy" arriving only this year, I have not had the time to go through all the posts to see if the subject was brought up previously, I only know what I read a fortnight or so ago, that a 10yr old boy was infected with AIDS by eating a bloodied slice or two of pineapple which had been spilt on it.

I was pointing out that the HIV virus cannot survive outside the body & took time out to find out if there was any other way he could have caught the HIV virus, as opposed to catching AIDS which as you know is the symptom of catching the virus. I am probably being very perdantic here so now I will close the subject (unless someone else comes up with another dubious story to peddle their rubbish as a fact..............).

Lastly, I do not write on this forum to get a response from others, in fact I post only to inform. I reiterate when my original post is either deleted by the moderator or when a reaction occurs, for whatever reason. Most posters are concerned that too much bandwidth is taken up by other posters............so no need to repeat oneself I guess.........

John Monteiro
18.11.07...........13.57hrs (UK)
Gabe Menezes <gabe.menezes at gmail.com> wrote: RESPONSE: With due respect, we have covered the HIV/AIDS topic numerous times, previously on Goanet. Long distance truck drivers are purported to be the ones who spread this diseases in India. Gabe Menezes. London, England
JOHN MONTEIRO

Gabe Menezes

London, England
JOHN MONTEIRO