Goanet as a learning instrument
cornel
2006-06-16 09:20:01 UTC
Dear Goanet admin team
There isn't a month when I resolve that I can't go on with Goanet because it
takes too much of my time. Yet, I have continued and can only conclude that
this is because Goanet is often a pretty useful learning instrument. I am
not sure that what I have to say to Goanet is that significant in terms of
content or readership interest. However, I am definitely always learning new
things from Goanet.

For instance, I do believe strongly in the principle of affirmative action,
aka reservations, for students but I had no idea that this applied to
university academic appointments in India. Teotonio's post, re his own
experience, opened my eyes to this and made me really uncomfortable. I find
it difficult to reconcile that university teaching/research appointments are
not very significantly (if not totally) based on academic merit in India. I
don't think I can accept this situation. Any university needs the best
academic talent it can find if it is to maintain its standing nationally and
internationally. Not to do this is to compromise academic quality in my view
and would be illegal in the UK. Academics here also have to be highly
productive in their research/publication outputs as this is quantified every
four years for national and international ratings and comparisons. These in
turn, determine future grants/research fundings. Institutions are severly
penalised if research/publication outputs are in any way lacking in quality
as per publicly established criteria. This point would perhaps be of
particular interest to fellow Goanetters like Mario and Jose.

I am sure my academic colleagues in the UK would be utterly horrified to
learn about reservations in India when academic appointments are made unless
exceptionally. But as I write, I think it would be possible for the best
academic to be appointed to an advertised post, and alonside, someone from a
scheduled group 'apprenticed' on payment, to be mentored and to learn the
ropes so as to later compete on more equal terms.

This issue throws up so many complexities (especially, relating to the
built-in advantages of the better-off students anywhere), but thanks to
Goanet, I feel sure I will be writing an academic paper for the
UK/international audience on something I had never considered before.

In respect to Goanet as a learning instrument, thanks are definitely due to
the founders of Goanet and the admin team who must sometimes feel that they
are engaged in a thankless task.
Cornel DaCosta, London, UK
Valmiki Faleiro
2006-06-17 01:32:05 UTC
Name: not available
To me at least, Goanet has been one. Not just an
instrument of learning, but more. I have
rediscovered old friends and made new ones, sought
and obtained assistance.
Mario adds:
I endorse the eloquently stated sentiment above.
My only regret is that we often go overboard
checking and countering one another, especially on
futile issues (more often after one another rather
than the issue!), like Goa's colonial past ...
which I'm sure helps neither the contenders nor the
Goanet readers by way of a thought-provoking
debate -- nor, for that matter, Goa.
Mario observes:
Valmiki,
Since this is an open world-wide forum which is
dedicated to free speech (with some moderation),
perhaps you should cut the members some slack in their
choice of subject, commentary, response and
counter-response. What may be thought-provoking for
one member may be boring or irritating for another at
any given time. No one forces us to read every post
or follow every thread. While some prefer a narrow
focus on Goa, others, who are just as Goan as anyone
else but live elsewhere, may have other interests from
time to time. Why should you care? Isn't that what
free speech is all about?
I look at Goanet's potential from the context of
how, for example, Israel greatly benefits from its
diaspora returning to their Promised Land (it's
just a minor spinoff that the Mossad can, at will,
place an undercover agent in any part of the
world ...
Mario asks:
Was it really necessary to mention Mossad and
undercover agents when talking about a country that
has continuously been in survival mode for almost 60
years from most of it's neighbors, some of whom
threaten to "wipe it off the map" on an almost weekly
basis?
The Goan diaspora bears an immense resource: of
experience from around the world. A multiplicity
of ideas that could the distilled for the greater
good of Goa. Goanet is slowly bringing that
diaspora on a common platform.
Mario adds:
Again, I agree and sense that this has already begun.
One needs to be, significantly to the Principal
Founder, who I know is your nephew by marriage ;-)
I'm entirely with you that the admin team must
sometimes feel they're into a thankless task. No
Goanet reader in her or his right mind will fail to
bear a deep, maybe unexpressed, sense of
appreciation and gratitude to Herman Carneiro
and the Fred-Bosco-Viviana team (I'm told there are
four, but I don't know who the fouth admin is) --
for what they have done and are doing, every single
day, 365.
Mario adds:
I would like to take this opportunity to add my
personal appreciation and gratitude to that expressed
quite eloquently by Valmiki above, not only to the
shadowy Herman for his foresight as the Founder (I'm
glad to hear the relationship is only by
marriage:-))), but also a special VIVA to Viviana,
Bosco and Fred (I'm not aware of a fourth) all of
whose stress levels increased exponentially after I
discovered Goanet :-))
Thanks for a job well done - most of the time :-))
Thanks especially for the time you take, and your
caring, to do such a stressful job voluntarily.
Notwithstanding our growing list of vociferous
pseudo-humanists, and real atheists/agnostics, God
Bless you all!
Valmiki Faleiro
2006-06-18 02:19:27 UTC
Name: not available
Post by Mario Goveia
Was it really necessary to mention Mossad and
undercover agents when talking about a country that
has continuously been in survival mode
I thought yes. Not for the reason I think you
adduce, but to underscore the inherent strenghts of
a diaspora, such as ours.
Mario asks:
Valmiki,
If I was wrong in "adducing" a hostility towards the
Israelis, I apologize.
However, here is my problem now that you have
confirmed that you mentioned Mossad intentionally. I
am still missing how Israel's elite intelligence
agency has anything to do with the Israeli and Goan
diasporas, especially when Goa is hardly facing a
threat of being wiped off the map, as Israel is.
It is that 60-year-old threat of elimination by a host
of neighbors that makes Jews different and motivates
them wherever they live, in the further context of the
genocidal Holocaust that immediately preceded it.
Thanks for bringing that out, Mario, can't figure
out how I forgot that very important aspect of the
Goanet admnis' job - yes, they do it for free, and
I do share your appreciation of that fact.
Mario adds:
My suggestion to Goanet is that they should accept
paid advertising and remunerate these administrators.
Then I would not feel so bad for the exponential
increase in their stress levels since I joined Goanet
:-)) How does one whack someone who is doing such a
thankless job for nothing :-))
Valmiki Faleiro
2006-06-19 01:34:49 UTC
Name: not available