Re: "Luso-Indian ", GOANS or "Mesticos"
Gilbert Lawrence
2003-12-26 15:14:19 UTC
Dear Sir/Madam
webmaster at movinghere.org.uk

It has come to our attention of the oversight in your posting on the
webpage
http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleries/roots/asian/angloindians/angloind

ians. In the information on this website, you appear to lump / combine
"Luso-Indian ", GOANS or "Mesticos". This is a gross
mis-representation! Mesticos are descendants of Portuguese-Goan/Indian
marriages. Goans are not of mixed blood but rather pure descendant of
Asian-Indians who lived under Portuguese rule for close to 500 years.
This difference does not mean that one race is superior and the other is
inferior. It does mean we all have our heritage and are proud of it.
There is no terminology called Luso-Indians which appears to be a direct
translation of Anglo-Indians.

We hope you will correct this glaring error on your part which affects
the description of GOANS in Goa, through out the world and most
specially the Goan in the UK.

I thank you in anticipation for your attention to this matter.
Gilbert Lawrence, MD, DMRT, FRCR.
Utica, NY, USA
Alfred de Tavares
2003-12-27 10:07:12 UTC
Gilbert,

Attempting to limit the "Luso-Indian" concept to sanguinal ethnicity is akin
to the 'animal' that sees only the two blades of grass before its eyes...

After all, Luso-presence in the parts of India that came under their sway
lasted for the better part of a half a millenium.

That long an age certainly inculcated into the local biped fauna much of the
desirable and undesirable influences of the infesting hosts: socio-cultural,
spiritual, political, emotional, idiosyncratic, dietary, et al.

This synthesis, rather than the negligible blood-issue, should be considered
the Luso-Indian entity.

Alfred de Tavares,
Stockholm, 2003-12-27
Gilbert Lawrence
2003-12-27 12:47:04 UTC
Subject: Re: "Luso-Indian ", GOANS or "Mesticos"

Hi All Cyber-Goans,

All those who did write to the British authorities (in their own words)
at webmaster at movinghere.org.uk to correct this misinformation on their
website, please send me a copy of your letter. Appreciate it. Regards,
GL

Dear Sir/Madam
webmaster at movinghere.org.uk

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Bosco D'Mello
2003-12-27 16:12:02 UTC
Hi Dr. Gilbert,

First off, I could not get to the following link:

http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleries/roots/asian/angloindians/angloindians.

So the link could be de-linked or I have the wrong link.

Secondly, is it a good idea for the rest of us to write directly to the
webmaster @ movinghere.org with our multiple views on the same subject (as
usual) ?? Would that not confuse the subject even further ?

Would it not be better to create a single view first (based on facts not
emotions) with the assistance of historians like Dr. Teotonio and Jorge and then
contact the webmaster/owners of the movinghere.org website ??

Best wishes - Bosco
GL
Bosco - Goanet Volunteer
2003-12-29 12:51:51 UTC
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:02:24 -0000, "Hirschorn, Crystal"
<crystal.hirschorn at nationalarchives.gov.uk> wrote:

Dear Dr Lawerence,

Thank you for your recent email to the Moving Here webmaster. I would also like
to thank you, Luis and other members of the Goa forums for bringing this issue
to our attention. The emails we have received are very in depth and give us a
better understanding of the Goans and Anglo Indians. I have forwarded your
email, Luis's email and others to the Project Manager and Webmaster to see about
rewording this information.

I hope that members of your forums or yourselves have not taken offense to the
information provided on the website. It will be rectified as soon as possible,
both the Project Manager and Webmaster will not be back until the 7th of January.

Again, thank you all very much for letting us know the background of these
groups.

Yours sincerely,

Crystal Hendrix-Hirschorn
Web Content Liaison Officer
Moving Here Project Team

Happy holidays to Goanetters headed HOME !!
Gilbert Lawrence

Utica, NY, USA
Alfred de Tavares

Gilbert Lawrence