Migrants & Misinformation
MailinglistClint!
2006-03-09 05:12:07 UTC
Migrants and Misinformation

The newspaper Herald?s star letter, titled ?Evils of migrants? written by
Croydon Medeira on 8th March 2006 is on the evils of migrants when they
settle down in Goa. He suggests stopping the influx of migrants from other
states and countries into Goa. So Mr. Medeira, if the suggestions in your
letter holds good, we?ll send all the migrants out of Goa. To balance it
all, we?ll have to call all Goan?s working out of Goa back home. All our
Uncles and Aunties settled in Canada, USA, UK, Africa and elsewhere be
deported back to Goa, they are all migrants after all aren?t they? And it?s
ironic that you be deported to Goa too, since you signed in your location as
UAE.

Here in India, nobody can, not even our politicians decide that the steady
stream of migrants should be stopped. As citizens of India, you are allowed
to settle wherever you want. According to many Goans, it?s migrants that
cause most of the state?s problems. But migrants would be defined as anybody
that comes into the state, including well spending tourists, lecturers to
colleges and universities, government servants on transfer orders,
celebrities, and industrialists that set up industries here. The poorest of
the poor migrants that make in here in Goa, are filling up jobs that most
Goans shy away from. Who is the servant in your house? Who are the persons
working at construction sites and built your own home? Who is it the builds
and repairs roads? Who sweeps the streets? Who is it that clears away the
garbage and cleans the sewers and open drains? Chances are that most of them
are migrants? Are these people also undesirable and troublesome? If so, why
aren?t we taking up those jobs? Change your mindset, have dignity of labour,
whatever the job.

We should have efficient law and order force, we should focus on problems
like squatters that set up homes on private and government lands,
establishing slums which are unhealthy for the rest of society besides
themselves. The residents in these slums aren?t just migrants, nor they only
from the Muslim community. How do we know that the Muslim community is the
majority of all the migrants coming into Goa? Do we have any data or anybody
monitoring check posts to verify unchallenged political statements and
rumors?

It?s easy to blame the migrants for everything. Instead, we should worry, be
aware and work on solutions to solve the serious problem about the communal
angle that has bee brought upon us by one set of corrupt politicians that
choose to ignore the situation and pretend everything is fine and another
set that tries to gain cheap publicity by misinformation and spreading of
communal hatred.

Clinton Vaz, Benaulim

klintvaz at gmx.net