[Goanet]The Guardian: Leander Paes, the dashing Goan.
Eddie Fernandes
2004-06-30 09:08:01 UTC
Headline: Navratilova looks for title 21 with Paes and mixed spice.
By: Richard Jago
Source: The Guardian (UK) Wednesday June 30, 2004 at
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/wimbledon2004/story/0,14530,1250379,00.html

Full text:

Martina Navratilova renewed her improbable partnership with Leander Paes,
the dashing Goan who helped her equal Billie Jean King's record of 20
Wimbledon titles, and enjoyed a cheerfully eccentric mixed doubles success
which continued her attempt for title 21 yesterday.
During the 6-1, 6-3 win over Sebasti?n Prieto of Argentina and Emmanuelle
Gagliardi of Switzerland, which put her and Paes into the third round, the
47-year-old appeared as passionate as ever about tennis - and possibly more
so given that increasing age has given it special connotations.

Navratilova and Lisa Raymond have already reached the quarter-finals of the
women's doubles, which she may regard as the more important. It is the
partnership with the Pennsylvanian which she hopes will earn an Olympic
medal at Athens in August, when she plans to retire for the second and
presumably last time.

However, it was with Paes that Navratilova won last year's Australian Open,
the only major title missing from her collection and enabling her to become
the oldest player ever to win a grand slam title, and it is the partnership
which has an unusual chemistry.

Even after all these years Navratilova is often a tense and occasionally an
anxious player. Paes certainly is not. Navratilova sat on her racket as if
it were a shooting stick when the crowd insisted on performing the Mexican
wave during the second set yesterday.

She smiled a little but showed she would like them to stop. It was followed
by a blistering backhand return-of-serve winner from Paes, who indicated he
would like them to continue. Everyone laughed at that. This leavening of
humour has served the partnership well. So has Paes's ability to make nimble
interceptions at the net when Navratilova is serving, rendering the
opposition uncertain where to direct their returns.

However, the fiercest of Paes's kills was reserved for a rally in the third
game of the second set in which Navratilova recovered to 30-all in her
service game. She did that with two stretching volleys in either direction,
Paes burying the second reply with a spectacular thump and a celebratory
grunt.
Forwarded by Eddie Fernandes
halur rasho
2004-06-30 17:00:38 UTC
Leander Paes is a Bengali. An indian with a portuguese
surname is not a necessarily a goan, although a
majority are. The portuguese had many settlements in
Bengal and converted a few of the natives.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
Eddie Fernandes
2004-06-30 18:33:00 UTC
Post by halur rasho
Leander Paes is a Bengali. An indian with a portuguese
surname is not a necessarily a goan, although a
majority are. The portuguese had many settlements in
Bengal and converted a few of the natives.
Leander Paes was born in Goa. His father and grandfather (ex-Tanzania)
also have Goa links. If Leader Paes describes himself as a Bengali, I have
no problems in accepting that. However, a check on Google on "Leander Paes
Goa" will reveal hundreds of Goa links. An autobiography is in the pipeline.
I reproduce below three of the many references to him from Goan Voice UK.

1. From http://www.goanvoice.org.uk/newsletter/2003-45/
2 Nov. 2003. Indian Express. Interview with tennis ace, Leander Paes from
Velim, Goa, portions of which were televised by NDTV. [A recent brain lesion
operation has left him resting and he revealed plans to write an
autobiography. In the Indian Express interview he said,] "Grandpa actually
designed this home [in Velim] for us. He was quite a man. He came over from
Arusha, in Tanzania. He was a great doctor and when the Indians were asked
to leave from there, he got a boat with his brother and sailed to Goa." See
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=34566

2. From: http://www.goanvoice.org.uk/newsletter/2003-28/
8 July. Times of India. Dr Vece Paes was not aware that his son, Leander
had made it to the mixed doubles finals at Wimbledon. Leander called him up
in Goa at 4 am on Monday morning to break the news that Martina Navratilova
and he had won the event. Text at:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=64801
8 July. Times of India. After winning the Wimbledon mixed doubles title
with Leander Paes on Sunday, Martina Navratilova revealed two of her
principles in life. The team that goes to the bathroom together stays
together, and never let age determine what you want to do. Text at:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=64757

3. From http://www.goanvoice.org.uk/newsletter/2003-27/
Leander Paes (whose roots are in Assolna, Goa), is making considerable
headway at Wimbledon. He has reached the third round in partnership with
Martina Navratilova. He and David Rikl are in the semi-finals of the men's
doubles. Follow his progress over the next few days. He won both Wimbledon
titles in 1999. Is the magic still there? The Leander Paes page is at
http://www.its.uci.edu/~jaykay/leander.html

Cheers

Eddie Fernandes
Helga do Rosario Gomes
2004-06-30 10:02:56 UTC
I think Leandro Paes can identify himself as anything he wants but I
remember a very funny (at least to me!) incident that happened a very long
time ago while I was shopping at Kitchenette in Margao. I think this was pre
1992 when I lived in Goa. A woman in her 70s walked in and told everyone
that her grand nephew had just won the Wimbledon championship! We looked at
her like she was crazy and rolled our eyes. I think she said she was from
Velim or some village in that area. When she left we all agreed she must be
crazy! Well I opened the papers the next day and saw our dashing LP! Dont go
splitting hairs over the details/dates because this happened a long time ago
and that's all I can remember!
--Helga
Gabe Menezes
2004-06-30 18:13:05 UTC
Post by halur rasho
Leander Paes is a Bengali. An indian with a portuguese
surname is not a necessarily a goan, although a
majority are. The portuguese had many settlements in
Bengal and converted a few of the natives.
I believe Mr. Paes senior is a pukka Goan, Laender himself deems himself to
be of Goan origin.

Cheers,

Gabe.
Eddie Fernandes