Rajan Narayan, Herald n Goa
Valmiki Faleiro
2003-09-23 09:34:38 UTC
As a person who was closely associated with the late A.C. Fernandes and sons
in their plan to launch an English avatar of the O Heraldo in 1983, as a person
who was virtually *responsible* to get Rajan Narayan as Herald's Editor (await my
full story, see endnote at bottom here), as a former journalist who lived in Goa
and saw the newspaper totter, steady and grow to its present stature, I feel I must
offer my comments (interjected below) on the varied points raised in recent posts
on this subject, as follows:-

2003-09-24 03:47:30 UTC
After the breaking news of the birth of the "Independent Goan Observer" a
lot of water has flowed under the bridge.
The Goan bashing, the editor bashing, the government bashing and at times
individual bashing has invariably contributed to the debate whether
democracy sustains , should sustain or could sustain a fearless and
uncompromising press. We have heard stories of journalists who have come out
with marvels in investigative journalism exposing industrialists,
politicians, NGOs etc. but these marvels have found their way into the waste
paper baskets of the editors of news papers. And many of them (juournalists)
have stormed off , in disgust, to search for better conditions to work in
and find sympathetic ears for their work. If real stories about the
connivance, multiplicity, sabotage, complicity of the police, the
government, the industrialists, the chamchas in the NGOs, the so called
freedom fighters etc etc which is available with many a free lancers
(journalists) or even dedicated individuals, since the so called liberation
of Goa, the libraries would have been full with treasure troves, and, many
a heads that rolled would have been immortalised in the tomb-heads. But that
has not happened. Sycophancy has doggedly prevailed. Today, the situation in
Goa is such that there are no takers for the "TRUTH" truth hurts in every
respect.

During the Meta Strip fight, when Navhind Time's editor Mr. Arun Sinha tried
to portray Goans as thugs and nothing but just plain and simple illmannered
thugs, (this with reference to the lynching of the havaldar at Goa Velha who
subsequently lost his life), I had personally written him a letter telling
him that he, as a non Goan, should not paint all Goans with the same brush
and that conflicts always have their casualties. I knew at that time that
ANTI -Meta fight was not all that genuine because there were some leaders
in it who were not at all sincere and were working at cross purposes. When I
mean leaders I mean real top leaders. That letter of mine has probably been
the subsequent ' blank- out' on GOA SU-RAJ , later, when it was formed, as
it was associated with me.

How much did the blue blooded Goan Herald help?
I remember the day when I had gone to Rajan Narayan with the constitution of
the Party, soliciting his support for the Goan cause. After listening to me
for a very brief moment, he made a curt remark "POILEM KITEM KORUN
DACOI". To that my reply was " WE WILL, WITH YOUR SUPPORT - BUT DO NOT
EXPECT US TO DANCE NAKED ON THE ROADS TO DRAW ATTENTION"

The help that HERALD extended to us is, on a scale of 10, about 1 at the
most. Most of it has been skeptical.

Some overseas Goans (who have been past journalists associated with Goan
newspapers) had asked me if it was possible to float a fortnightly which
would be the cutting edge, I had informed them that I would try to look at
the prospects. After having met with some prominent ex-editors and journos,
I found that there was none in Goa who would want to be the double edged
cutting sword with a true commitment. This, after a pledge by the overseas
Goans for a sponsorship of 48 + 48 issues, with SYMPATHETIC 'printing
press' services available at cost in Goa. I could have very well said "YES"
I will do it, if I was into journalism. But sadly, I had to let it go, for,
I have too many things on my hands and I couln't take on this huge
responsibility. The same sponsors are happy to go along with the
"Independent Goan Observer" PROVIDED!

The provided will come up at tomorrow's meeting at the International Centre
at 5 p.m. for which I have been invited.

I, AS AN INDIVIDUAL GOAN, BELIEVE THAT GOANS NEED A "GOAN" NEWSPAPER THAT
WILL BE THE CATALYST FOR THE 'GOAN REVOLUTION' ON THE LINES OF THE 'FRENCH
REVOLUTION' A REVOLUTION OF THE PEOPLE OF GOA, BY THE PEOPLE OF GOA, FOR
THE PEOPLE OF GOA. THAT THIS REVOLUTION SHOULD NOT BE THE MOUTH PIECE OF ANY
POLITICAL PARTY THAT IS HYPOCRITIC, UNTRUSTWORTHY, AND WHICH IS JUST A WORD
OF MOUTH WITHOUT COMMITTED GUARANTEES OF UPLIFTMENT OF GOA AND GOANS.

Goans, I believe, are tired of chasing RED HERRINGS, specially me, after
the debacle of the all Goan 'UGDP'.

This is in appreciation of Valmiki Faleiro, Rui Collaco and host of inputs
by many many others on this list.

Cheers
Floriano

From: "Rui Collaco" <ruicollaco at hotmail.com>
To: goanet at goanet.org
Subject: Re: [Goanet]URGENT! URGENT! CM RSS BLACKMAIL HERALD EDITOR TO
RESIGN
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:46:40 +0100

Pressures on the press? Systematic sidelining of journalists? "Blocking out
of news from the Goa press"?
Sacking newspaper editors? Is this going on in "democratic" Goa in 2003?
I thought muzzling the press was a feature of dictatorships. What kind of
democracy has room for this subversive development? Isn't a free press
essential to a democratic set up?

Where are all those "freedom fighters", ever so ready and happy to denounce
the evils of the colonial regime of more than 40 years ago? The fight is
over for them? Have they been silenced too, with their "freedom fighter
pensions", college quotas and other privileges? Or perhaps having a free
press was not part of what they "fought" for? And the Goan "intelligentsia"
in Goa - nobody saying anything on this?

Rui Miranda Colla?o

Lisbon
Valmiki Faleiro
2003-09-24 16:25:42 UTC
Dear Floriano,

Good intentions need the means to translate themselves to reality. And
I would never doubt YOUR good intentions.

I can only wish you the best with this good intention at tomorrow's conclave.
Only be a wee bit careful about the provisos (*provided!*), if I may offer
some unsolicited advice, that is!

Regards/Valmiki

Valmiki Faleiro

Valmiki Faleiro