Of beach umbrellas
sandeep heble
2008-03-04 06:19:50 UTC
Of beach umbrellas...by Dr Samir Heble

I remember the pristine Goa of my childhood: the
beautiful beaches and Dona Paola untinged, unlike
today???s worldly consumerism, the sandy sands where
we could revel in the simple yet rich pleasures of
life and the azure seas that were crystal clear.

It is indeed a sad time now that beach umbrellas have
begun encroaching on the public beaches. I hope we are
not evolving into a narcissistic society, a society
more interested in enriching individual purses than in
enriching Goa's natural beauty. Some years ago when
Bill Clinton had visited the Taj on his official
presidential tour, he had remarked: "There are only
two types of tourists, those that have visited the Taj
and those that haven???t ".

At that time, I had the same feelings for Goa too. I
do want to believe the same now too.

Our innocent children want to run around and play on
our beaches, unhindered by our rich umbrellas. We
yearn to enjoy the serenity of our uncluttered beaches
too. Simple can be beautiful. Simple can be soothing.
Let???s keep Goa simple and clean and make it even
richer.

Dr Samir Heble

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
JOHN MONTEIRO
2008-03-04 09:20:27 UTC
How I agree with Dr Samir about this, I have been away too long, my childhood in Goa is exactly as he described it, unhindered............

I am hugely saddened to see, hear & read the onslaught of rampant tourism, its gone totally haywire, but with the inward migration adding to the fabric of society but not contributing to the "wealth of the individual". By wealth I do mean more cash needed for the needy & the hard working Goans, but also to the nature beauty & unspoilt beaches, countryside & the "treat" of getting an ice-cream or chocolate, jalebi or other sweets, when it was celebration time & when it was a special occasion.

Now the children demand much more than an old bicycle (with no tyre) and a stick to race your friends by, to throw sticks, stones & whatever you have to get a mango (or several) from a tree overlapping into the road....... or watching the dobi doing the laundry, surrounded by soap suds & gushing water............ the simple jumping into the well & having fun with your friends during the moonsoon when the wells were overflowing, sitting by the stream with a simple hook & a worm or two to catch fish (to take home to eat of course).

Ah yes, Dr Samir, those WERE the days. I hope & pray there are some parts of Goa that I will see have not changed too much because we plan to visit end of this year, some 46 years too late I know, Goa was not forgotten or forsaken by me, it was for other reasons too personal to go into right now, but I (with my wife & two daughters who have not seen Goa at all), will be coming end of this year.

I have been lucky enough to get many personal emails from very nice Goanetters who have volunteered to help us around, from reasonably priced places to stay in Margao & Mapuca to the rather more posh places (anything over 2 star is posh for me).

If anyone has the spare time, perhaps suggesting places we could visit on our very brief fortnight in Goa, we would love to hear from you. I am still trying to trace my Portuguese family tree in Goa, we have got nowhere with our enquiries, a blind alley here & a suggestion there, but in total, I cannot remember exactly where in Goa we resided, no address or anything but I can remember certain details only, I left when I was 11 years old.

John Monteiro
sandeep heble <sandeepheble at yahoo.com> wrote:Of beach umbrellas...by Dr Samir Heble. I remember the pristine Goa of my childhood: the beautiful beaches and Dona Paola untinged, unlike today???s worldly consumerism, the sandy sands where we could revel in the simple yet rich pleasures of life and the azure seas that were crystal clear. It is indeed a sad time now that beach umbrellas have begun encroaching on the public beaches. I hope we are not evolving into a narcissistic society, a society more interested in enriching individual purses than in enriching Goa's natural beauty. Some years ago when Bill Clinton had visited the Taj on his official presidential tour, he had remarked: "There are only
Floriano [goasuraj]
2008-03-04 09:53:25 UTC
Dear Dr. Samir Heble,

Will you not join with me to undo the rot on our immaculate beaches and
other??

As I always say: "there must be a political will to do that" What I am
saying is that this political will is inbuilt in the Goa Su-Raj Party, its
Constitution and its Road Map. Pls go thro' these document available for
download on www.goasu-raj.org . Our committment to Goa is simple. Do away
with what is not required, what is harmful, things like the injurious
Tenancy Act formulated and implemented by Dayanand Bandodkar to expand his
vote bank. Bring in the indegenous Comunidades as parallel organisations to
corrupt panchayats and zilla panchayats. Remove all CRZ violations by
engaging in massive demolitions. Free the beaches from the pestilence of
shacks, beach-beds and beach umbrellas. Those who want to be on the beach,
let them be there in unision with the nature. I have walked on the Baga
section of the beach at night recently (12 p.m.) because I was alerted that
a sand dune was being leveled near the 'Love Shack" in close proximity of
'Ferenheit' and Estrela do Mar, the two hotels whom I have taken to Court
in PIL, the case ongoing. The Collector, Mr. Mihir Vardhanr was good enough
to depute police personnel with me. What I observed is going to haunt me
untill I die. Neither could I walk on the beach without getting wet in the
waves nor could I be in peace. Ear shattering music (emenating from Pyramid
Shack and others), after 12 p.m.??? for God sake, beach beds everywhere and
little kiosks even at the water line. The conscience of entire Goa seems to
be dead along with the conscience of the government administration, the
Judiciary and the law enforcement machinery. If I were to be in a position
to undo things, I would have cleared Goa's beaches if it was the very first
thing I did, with a whip in my hand, first whipping the lawmakers and
skinning their backs and then handling the law protectors.

I think I have said enough.

Will I get a response from you to my question? Will you join with me/us to
do the above? My will to go ahead to persue thinking in the lines I am
presently thinking, was thinking for the past 20 years and more will
continue depending on your positive response. Because I know it takes two
hands to clap. That just one hand beats the empty air.

Thank you.

floriano
goasuraj

I remember the pristine Goa of my childhood: the
beautiful beaches and Dona Paola untinged, unlike
today??Ts worldly consumerism, the sandy sands where
we could revel in the simple yet rich pleasures of
life and the azure seas that were crystal clear.
It is indeed a sad time now that beach umbrellas have
begun encroaching on the public beaches. I hope we are
not evolving into a narcissistic society, a society
more interested in enriching individual purses than in
enriching Goa's natural beauty. Some years ago when
Bill Clinton had visited the Taj on his official
presidential tour, he had remarked: "There are only
two types of tourists, those that have visited the Taj
and those that haven??Tt ".
At that time, I had the same feelings for Goa too. I
do want to believe the same now too.
Our innocent children want to run around and play on
our beaches, unhindered by our rich umbrellas. We
yearn to enjoy the serenity of our uncluttered beaches
too. Simple can be beautiful. Simple can be soothing.
Let??Ts keep Goa simple and clean and make it even
richer.
Dr Samir Heble
________
Post by sandeep heble